Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to safely and accurately crosscut 30"?

John

That looks like a pretty nice tool. I'd be interested in your observations and feedback on it.
    If you just needed to do this just one time, you could have just carefully laid out the lines and cut to then with your track saw.But, you really should have an accurate and fast way to register the track for largish panels for the future anyway.

I use Brian Lamb's large square to align my track saw for larger panel cuts. If the GRS-16 doesn't do what you need it too, though I think it will, Brian's square is very accurate for laying out, and aligning a 90 degree reference with a track. I just got done doing some 55"x39" panels using it as my layout and alignment guide.

I wouldn't worry about catching any flak. Having accurate tools makes wood working so much easier, and efficient.
    You paid a lot of $$$ to allow yourself to be reliant on the MFT table. That's what it's for.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

All I need is my Makita track saw and a framing square to do those type of cuts. I thought the TS-55 was a track saw. I don't understand the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    All I need is my Makita track saw and a framing square to do those type of cuts. I thought the TS-55 was a track saw. I don't understand the problem.
    The TSO rail square or the like (there are two other similar products) gives an accuracy that is hard to match with a framing square. Let's assume the framing square is indeed square, inaccuracy could still sneak in when you try to hold a square against the reference edge and set a long rail against the square. It will be better if you have a helper for the setting.

It might be ok using a framing square if a smaller piece is cut or if you have only one square cut to set and make. But 4 or 5 or more cut on 4'x 5' boards? The rail squares give better speed and results.

Like I said, the rail square isn't cheap. But is it accurate or more accurate than using a framing square?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmNyPvsfSCo

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sayen View Post
    I considered the tablesaw for a minute but it's way too wide to use a miter gauge, and utilizing the fence wouldn't produce a perpendicular cut to the currently perfectly parallel sides.

There's got to be a simple solution that I'm not thinking of.

The piece is 35"Hx30"W - looking to shorten it to 33"Hx30"W.

Thank you.
    The simple solution is to align your table saw fence with the miter slot and do the cut on your table saw either with the 33" piece against the fence or the 2-7/8" piece against the fence. If you table saw is properly aligned this type of cut is accurate and safe.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    He may have bought the saw to go with the MFT and didn't buy a longer rail...speculation on my part.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    The TSO rail square or the like (there are two other similar products) gives an accuracy that is hard to match with a framing square. Let's assume the framing square is indeed square, inaccuracy could still sneak in when you try to hold a square against the reference edge and set a long rail against the square. It will be better if you have a helper for the setting.

It might be ok using a framing square if a smaller piece is cut or if you have only one square cut to set and make. But 4 or 5 or more cut on 4'x 5' boards? The rail squares give better speed and results.

Like I said, the rail square isn't cheap. But is it accurate or more accurate than using a framing square?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmNyPvsfSCo

Simon
    I need to make a bunch of these crosscuts so I wanted something repeatable and reliable. Accuracy is important to me, and I have struggled with manually setting a track to square even with a woodpecker 12” square.

Maybe I’m not as good at it as everyone seems to think it’s easy, or maybe I am being too particular about it being perfectly square.

Either way it is what it is. I ordered a TSO unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    He may have bought the saw to go with the MFT and didn't buy a longer rail...speculation on my part.
    I have a longer rail but have struggled with making a perfect square cut even when using a woodpecker 12” square to line up the cross cut.

I ordered a TSO unit - thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    John

That looks like a pretty nice tool. I'd be interested in your observations and feedback on it.
    If you just needed to do this just one time, you could have just carefully laid out the lines and cut to then with your track saw.But, you really should have an accurate and fast way to register the track for largish panels for the future anyway.

I use Brian Lamb's large square to align my track saw for larger panel cuts. If the GRS-16 doesn't do what you need it too, though I think it will, Brian's square is very accurate for laying out, and aligning a 90 degree reference with a track. I just got done doing some 55"x39" panels using it as my layout and alignment guide.

I wouldn't worry about catching any flak. Having accurate tools makes wood working so much easier, and efficient.
    You paid a lot of $$$ to allow yourself to be reliant on the MFT table. That's what it's for.
    I’ll try to remember to post some feedback on it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The simple solution is to align your table saw fence with the miter slot and do the cut on your table saw either with the 33" piece against the fence or the 2-7/8" piece against the fence. If you table saw is properly aligned this type of cut is accurate and safe.
    Maybe I’m not describing the situation properly but I think you’re wrong. The two long edges are parallel, but the short edges are not parallel or perpendicular.

If I try to crosscut the short edge using the fence as a guide it will result in a parallel crosscut but it will certainly not be perpendicular to the long edges.

I ordered the TSO unit as it looks like it will solve this problem.

Thank you.

For those who use the EZ Smart Guide Rails from Eurekazone.com they could use the EZ Smart Miter Square for making cross cuts in a manner similar to the TSO square, but the EZ Smart Miter Square also lets the user define an angle (in addition to a 90 degree angle) and make repeated miter cuts. Adding a Repeater makes what is called a "Cabinetmaker" which allows cuts of repeatable width.

Of course their EZ-One Woodworking Center will easily cut 48" lengths.
    Last edited by Ken Kortge; 03-13-2018 at 8:04 PM.

Hi,
    I completely understand John (the OP) is solving the problem he presented with the purchase of a TSO unit which looks like a fine tool indeed.
    For anyone else following this thread that might be inclined to make a crosscut table jig for accurate, large squaring cuts with a track saw, here is a video from Fine Woodworking where the author demonstrates how to make a simple jig for this purpose. I haven't done so yet, but I've been meaning to make one to keep in the corner of the shop for when I need it. I think it would be useful in the field also. Of course you could make it to whatever size capacity you need. I hope you find this helpful.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2016/...crosscut-table

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    Of course you could make it to whatever size capacity you need. I hope you find this helpful.

Edwin
    A keeper! Thanks.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    I completely understand John (the OP) is solving the problem he presented with the purchase of a TSO unit which looks like a fine tool indeed.
    For anyone else following this thread that might be inclined to make a crosscut table jig for accurate, large squaring cuts with a track saw, here is a video from Fine Woodworking where the author demonstrates how to make a simple jig for this purpose. I haven't done so yet, but I've been meaning to make one to keep in the corner of the shop for when I need it. I think it would be useful in the field also. Of course you could make it to whatever size capacity you need. I hope you find this helpful.

Edwin
    Thanks Edwin!

DeWalt used to make the DWS 5027 that fit both the DeWalt and Festool tracks. I'll have to check it on my Makita track to see if it fits that also.

For reasons known only to DeWalt, they quit making it.

The device was/is very highly thought of by the people over at the FOG.

I think I picked up one of the very last ones out there a few months ago for either $20 or $30. I just checked and nobody seems to have one just now. They do pop up from time to time though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Following-up as requested, the TSO track square has been phenomenal - a definite game-changer for fast, square cross-cuts. My wide boards are now square corner-to-corner within a millimeter.

Thanks to everyone for the help, and to the person that recommended I check out the TSO.

John