Thread: New HVLP turbine user, how do i figure tip, nozzle, etc from mfr recommendations

New HVLP turbine user, how do i figure tip, nozzle, etc from mfr recommendations

i recently purchased an Earlex 6003 HVLP it comes with a 1.5 and 2.5 tip and nozzle. I was reading my mfr suggestion for spraying and it tells me to use "Twin-stage turbine, 5-8 PSI, .051 to .070 projector set"

Is there a way to convert these numbers to my tip sizes or is it telling me i need to buy a tip that is between the .51-.70 range?

equip.JPG
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    i recently purchased an Earlex 6003 HVLP it comes with a 1.5 and 2.5 tip and nozzle. I was reading my mfr suggestion for spraying and it tells me to use "Twin-stage turbine, 5-8 PSI, .051 to .070 projector set"

Is there a way to convert these numbers to my tip sizes or is it telling me i need to buy a tip that is between the .51-.70 range?

equip.JPG
    0.051" is about 1.3mm and 0.070 is about 1.8mm so try the 1.5 tip. Big sheet of cardboard for your target or some scrap wood from the project or both.

25.4mm = 1"

And if you search on Amazon, you should be able to find an inexpensive Ford #4 viscosity cup which can be helpful. But not necessary.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Boy i feel dumb... i could have done that... Thanks a million
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Young;

And if you search on Amazon, you should be able to find an inexpensive Ford #4 viscosity cup which can be helpful. But not necessary.
    #4 Ford Cup.jpg
    So thats what that lil gizmo is for... now if you can bear 1 more "newbie" question...how do i find the "viscosity time"? of the product I am using...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-12-2018 at 8:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    #4 Ford Cup.jpg
    So thats what that lil gizmo is for... now if you can bear 1 more "newbie" question...how do i find the "viscosity time"? of the product I am using...
    The viscosity of the product is usually listed on the manufacturer's tech. data sheet or sometimes buried in the Safety Data Sheet. They are not always listed as Ford #4 units, but there are many conversion tables available on the web. To check the viscosity of your finish with the #4 Ford cup, which I do with every gallon of product before using it (you would be surprised how much some change from can to can, and some are outside the range stated), just dip the cup into the finish until the top lip is below the surface, then lift it up about 8 - 10". Begin timing as the bottom of the cup clears the surface and stop when the stream breaks up.

Match the N/N set you use to the viscosity you measure. You can find suggested tables of which N/N sets to use for a range of viscosities on the web, too.

John