Thread: Simple relief carving, some trips and tricks

Simple relief carving, some trips and tricks

Like I showed in my previous post (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....of-woodworking!), I am working on some simple relief carving patterns. While it might look utterly unattainable, it is in fact very simple. I am a total beginner, probably wil be forever, but still, here are a few small tricks I found to make the work a little easier. If anyone has other ideas, please add them to this thread!

A short video to make things more understandable:

At first I had great trouble to make nice flowing circular shapes with the V-gouge. Most came out very blocky. A simple trick to improve this is to rest your wrist on the wood and use that like the fulcrum point.

I press down hard with the pinky side of my hand palm on the gouge to controll the forward motion. Yes this is painfull on a V-gouge! Time to grow some harder skin.

I lower the gouge a little when going along the grain, because it cuts a lot easier the across the grain. This helps to cut to an even depth. Hard to see in the vid because I still wobble up and down a lot in an effort to control the damn thing!

I learned to relax my grip on the mallet! First I was gripping it like hell, but holding it more relaxed makes you less tired and improves the work. I also relax my grip on the gouge as much as possible while still holding it down hard enough. That's more a matter of balance.

I see that I give very shallow hits with the mallet, maybe I'll hit it harder when I become more confident.

Hope you enjoy this.

Thanks Kees!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Good stuff Kees, thanks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Today I was working on the long rail, which gets a continuous row of arcs. I am struggling a lot more on those! Which shows that I am hardly an expert on this stuff. I post because I am so enthousiastic about this kind of work.

Luckilly it doesn't need to be perfect, when I look at the kind of material that inspires me. I don't know what this guy was drinking when he made this, but I hope his customer was pretty drunk too when he recieved it!

ub1052tsaa.jpg

Kees are you using green wood? i've seen peter follansbee on the wood wright shop make a chest like that one, pretty sure he said he carved it when the wood was green. jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Schram View Post
    Kees are you using green wood? i've seen peter follansbee on the wood wright shop make a chest like that one, pretty sure he said he carved it when the wood was green. jerry
    No I didn't have the oportunity to work with green wood, and with the "speed" I work on these projects it would long be dry now. I use cherry which is a nice carving wood and not so hard.