Thread: Speeds and Feeds in plastic questions

Speeds and Feeds in plastic questions

Doing some programming for someone that has a router and they are cutting .220" thick acrylic. Machine has a 3hp 21,000 rpm Porter Cable spindle and we are cutting a shallow pocket (.090" Deep) and cutting through the sheet on the perimeter of the part. I do mostly CNC mill work and have no experience with 21,000 rpm and cutting acrylic.

I have machined it (acrylic) on my CNC mill but that spindle is only good for 3000-4000 rpm, other than that I cut it with my laser. So what's a good starting point and possible upper limit for feed rates? I'm using a 1/4" 2fl carbide end mill at the moment and have suggested they use and Onsrud 0-flute with an 11º spiral instead... running 100ipm now and it seems likes the machine could handle quite a bit more.

Oh, it's a 4x4 router made by Phoenix, don't know much about it, but it seems pretty solid, not some little table top aluminum extrusion contraption.

Thanks in advance!
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Onsrud has speeds and reeds recommendations on their site, also bit recommendations by material. I’d start there.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Took quite a bit of searching on that site to find an actual feed rate chart, but it looks like I could double or maybe triple the feed rate. Not sure the machine is going to handle 300 ipm but we'll see.
    Brian Lamb

I've had very good results using either the 1/4" Onsrud single flute spiral O for acrylic or the Belin at 20,000 rpm and 125 ipm in 1/2" material, climb cutting.

1/2" deep in one pass? The chips clear out of the slot? This guy is only cutting .220 thick most of the time, so could probably push a bit harder. Thanks for the info!
    Brian Lamb

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    Took quite a bit of searching on that site to find an actual feed rate chart
    Sorry, I have them all downloaded. For others who are looking, you can start here:

http://www.onsrud.com/xdoc/FeedSpeeds
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    1/2" deep in one pass? The chips clear out of the slot? This guy is only cutting .220 thick most of the time, so could probably push a bit harder. Thanks for the info!
    Yes. We routinely cut 1/2" at 150 ipm using a 32,000 rpm spindle. Beautiful finish.