Thread: Oneida DIY Dust Deputy not working as should. Can't figure out why.

Oneida DIY Dust Deputy not working as should. Can't figure out why.

I had an original Oneida Dust Deputy for years. I forget what I did to damage it, but I did. So I decided to get one of the DIY $49.99 new tops and build a bottom out of 3/4 plywood to fit it and I would be good to go...or so I thought. Cut out a circle of 3/4" plywood with a 3/8" rabited end that just fit inside the Oneida 5 gal bottom. Put a layer of gasket material that contacted the lip of the bottom. I used liquid nails as a sealant for the dust deputy unit on top and used the recommended 5/16" bolts to attach the upper cyclone unit. Waited 6 hours and tested the system. There is plenty of suction. The Rigid (14 gal wet/dry) works well, it sucked up the test material I had saved to test the system in a heartbeat. The problem is: Half of the vacuumed debris goes to the bottom of the dust deputy and half goes into the main unit filter which I'm trying to spare and then into the bottom of the main unit. Yes there is a cyclone effect going on as some of the larger particles spin in the dust deputy unit until I turn it off, then drop down to the bottom. I want all of the dust to drop down to the bottom and not get channeled into the main wet/dry unit. What's going on that I'm missing? Your comments, suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Don M
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

I can only guess at it without seeing it, but on mine (regular DD) it was letting lots get into the filter until I properly sealed the connections below the DD. Before I'd put a gasket on the collection can underneath it, loads of dust got in the filters, though no larger bits. Once I added that gasket, I cleaned up half a 35 gallon garbage can's worth of floor dust and not even a light dusting got into the filter.
    I'd assume yours may be a similar issue.

I sent Roy a PM, and he's right. I used a gasket material that was handy, not the best material. The original material I wanted to use was too thick, couldn't use it. I finished too late at night to go get a thinner material, so I used what was "handy". Thought it would be OK. Nope. Off to HD this morning. Another case of "the hurrier I go, the behinder I get".

Success, just had to completely seal off the DD. Went to what I thought were extraordinary efforts to assure the unit was sealed off...all bolts, nuts, plastic/wood junctions, etc. were again sealed. But that's what it took. Emptied a bucket of dust into the DD and none went into the main wet/dry vac. Now I can get on with wwing.