Thread: Anyone use "dressing sticks" on their CBN wheels?

Anyone use "dressing sticks" on their CBN wheels?

Apparently these will deglaze diamond and CBN wheels, anyone tried them (or something like them)?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Define "dressing stick." - John

I use a dresser on cheap (non-diamond and non-CBN) abrasive wheels occasionally to keep them flat. I use mineral oil on my diamond files to keep them clean and to eliminate them loading up. Diamond and CBN shouldn't be "dressed" as they stay flat.

Ooops, forgot to include the link... Norton Dressing Stick: For Diamond / CBN Grinding Wheels, 6 in Overall Lg, 1/2 in Overall Wd, 1/2 in Overall Ht, White - Gamut

Apparently they can deglaze - get out any accumulated debris from between the CBN grit, allowing them to cut better.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

The first CBN wheels I had, 3 or so years before D Way came out with theirs, was an aluminum hub with 1/4 inch of a matrix of CBN and a bonding agent which was put on the hub, a far cry from the electroplated wheels of today. Woodcraft had a similar diamond wheel for a year or two. These would load up and need to be cleaned. The maker gave me some scraps of a very hard white aluminum oxide wheels to apply to the wheels. It helped some. I believe I tried them on my electroplated wheels and the only thing I noticed was that it put a lot of dust into the air. I may have to dig out the set of CBN wheels I just retired and see if it makes a difference. Most of the time, I put a little lapping fluid on the bevels of my tools before I sharpen.

robo hippy

I use one of the gum rubber cleaning sticks for belt sanders. works great

Thanks for the replies.

Allen - do you notice a buildup on your wheels? Do they cut better after cleaning?

Dan

-Woody Allen-

not noticed any build up from the rubber dressing stick
    not really paid a lot of attention to how they cut after cleaning. just being pre-emptive in doing maintenance on them. not even sure they really need cleaning.