Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ACRULITE FF what is this stuff?

Blog Entries
    It's different.
    I've a few pieces of the same stuff, that is about 15 years old, I can cut it decently, but engraving is junk. It takes more power/slower than cast.
    I don't use it for anything but fixtures.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

25 - 30psi through a 1.5mm nozzle with a 2mm standoff nozzle height away from the work Bert and it will cut nicely. The Koi pumps that come with the usual chinese machines are no good for this stuff, they only produce about 7psi maximum and more usually 3psi, they give good volume but hopeless pressure. And don't try gluing it with any solvents, it will craze and edge crack for fun
    You did what !

Extrude has a lower melting point and should cut easier. But engraving does not frost.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll just scrap this stuff, not going to buy a new compressor
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Try no air at all, you might be surprised. The only reason I ever use air is to keep flareups down and to help blow the smoke away from the lens. My air nozzle is at least and inch and a half from the cut, and too big to generate any force.... what comes out is akin to gently blowing with your mouth- just enough to prevent flames and move smoke, it in no way 'assists' the cutting...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Problem is Clark, Extruded melts as you say, it doesn't ablate that's why the edges roll over
    You did what !

Ill try it no air paper on see what happens , I have cut extruded before just no this brand

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Try no air at all, you might be surprised. The only reason I ever use air is to keep flareups down and to help blow the smoke away from the lens. My air nozzle is at least and inch and a half from the cut, and too big to generate any force.... what comes out is akin to gently blowing with your mouth- just enough to prevent flames and move smoke, it in no way 'assists' the cutting...
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

UPDATE
    after once again trying and failing to cut this stuff, I sent a piece to Kev to see if he could cut it. He informed me that this is LEXAN, aka polycarbonate. So I guess this I can't cut with my CO2.
    So now my ?is can I do anything with this stuff of should I just take it to the dump???
    I have 13 pieces about 3 to 4 feet long and 6.5 wide.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert

You can engrave it and then cut it with woodworking tools. It's a great material and I'm sure you can find uses for it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have cut on this but only 1 mm thick. Nasty smoke and brown char. But if I left the protective plastic on it was fine. my recommendation is that you do not touch the the parts without gloves as it made my fingers numb. So probably a good idea not to breathe the fumes. How thick is the material you are using?

Yes it engraves ok. I was reading that a fine tooth table saw blade will cut it. I'm wondering if a led light base will lite it up nice like regular cast acrylic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Bert

You can engrave it and then cut it with woodworking tools. It's a great material and I'm sure you can find uses for it.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

!/4 inch thick

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shawa View Post
    I have cut on this but only 1 mm thick. Nasty smoke and brown char. But if I left the protective plastic on it was fine. my recommendation is that you do not touch the the parts without gloves as it made my fingers numb. So probably a good idea not to breathe the fumes. How thick is the material you are using?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Guys, lexan releases chlorine gas when lasered. I wouldn’t recommend messing around with that stuff.

Cut it with a router or saw blade but not the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Yes it engraves ok. I was reading that a fine tooth table saw blade will cut it. I'm wondering if a led light base will lite it up nice like regular cast acrylic
    Hi Bert,
    It will cut fine with an Acrylic saw blade, it's not nearly as good as acrylic for transferring light through the edges though. Maybe you can use it for protective covers or something? It's very tough stuff, used to use it mostly for large lighted sign cabinet faces. I use scraps to make scrapers, cut it to 1"x6" and put a bevel on the belt sander and make a chisel for scraping old vinyl and things like that. I always did a comparison for customers and took a piece of Acrylic and piece of Lexan and hit it with a hammer, the Acrylic shatters, the Lexan bounces!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Stack two of those 1/4" sheets together and they'll stop a .22 long rifle, 4 sheets will stop a 9mm... Delvies use to have (may still) a 2" thick chunk of Lexan with a 30.06 bullet stuck in it- makes great motorcycle windshields too... It has its uses, but it's hard stuff to work with.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle