Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACRULITE FF what is this stuff?

ACRULITE FF what is this stuff?

Any searches brings up Acrylite FF ok maybe its acrylite and no u as the Y may have been cut off
    My sheets are marked Cyro Acrulite FF I was told from the guy I got them from they were cast acrylic SZo this morning I tried to engrave and Cut this stuff. The engraving looked funny from the start but I let it go Then it went to cut and it had a really bright flame as it cut and produced a lot of carbon 4 passes would not cut thru it and it didn't smell like any acrylic I cut before IMG_20180311_095627401(1) (Copy).jpgIMG_20180311_095734568 (Copy).jpgSo I ask what have I got here
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 03-11-2018 at 1:26 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I believe it's Acrylite, which is an acrylic product and the FF is extruded. Their website lists laser cutting as a fabrication method.

so being extruded is why all the carbon and won't cut? if so the guy lied to me and I'm stuck with a bunch of this stuff
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You can see from your picture that it is Acrylite, not Acrulite; the y's descender is cut off but clearly too long for a u. And, as Matt said, it's extruded acrylic. That means it won't engrave to a frosty white, and it will tend to melt and reflow when cutting. I'm guessing the "carbon" was from the paper? Hmm, actually, it looks like you were cutting without the paper... How thick is the sheet and what sort of speed/power mix were you using?

Though a different brand I have a regular job that I do with extruded regularly, about ten 12x24”sheets each time. It cuts beautifully, in 1/8” thickness.” The engraving on it works well for paint fill, bu not for that frosted glass look. The stuff I use has a blue plastic film on it , rather than paper. Extruded is cheaper so if it works for thejob, your profit goes up. I pay about $70 for a full 4’x8’ sheet cut to 12x24s.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Try HIGH pressure air and short focal length lens if you want to cut. That is what I use to cut polyester which tends to make the same smoke show. Not sure if that will help with engraving.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

I was cutting with out paper, its a little less the 1/4 and I was using same settings I use for cast. 70% pwr 10mmps spd.full air Never had any problems like this with cast 1/4. I don't know why all this carbon and not cutting weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    You can see from your picture that it is Acrylite, not Acrulite; the y's descender is cut off but clearly too long for a u. And, as Matt said, it's extruded acrylic. That means it won't engrave to a frosty white, and it will tend to melt and reflow when cutting. I'm guessing the "carbon" was from the paper? Hmm, actually, it looks like you were cutting without the paper... How thick is the sheet and what sort of speed/power mix were you using?
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 03-11-2018 at 3:53 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert, Could it be that by chance, your lens failed? I had this happen once after a long engraving session on high power.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

FWIW the rest of the "y" tail is right under the "r"

I've cut lots of extruded with no problem, other than the gooey edges. I've never cut it paper-off however. I too am wondering Bert, if your lens or a mirror has 'an issue'...

That said, here's a piece of the same stuff I cut not long ago.
    It's a different brand and it's "SG" (sign grade) rather than "FF", but they're essentially the same...
    DSC07421.jpg

All extruded I've ever cut comes out good like this one...
    DSC07420.jpg

However, this crap doesn't laser engrave good at all.
    --and I engraved this at 15% power 500mm/s at .07 gap,
    that much power barely engraves black Romark...

here I have my shop light blazing across the surface,
    the engraving is 'ok' but there is no 'frosty' look to it, the stuff just melts,
    and there's very little contrast...
    DSC07424.jpg

And here I put the edge right into the light,
    cast acrylic engraving would light up like gangbusters,
    but this stuff doesn't edge-light whatsover...
    DSC07425.jpg

For your purposes Bert, you need cast acrylic, period. With any luck whoever sold you this stuff will trade it back in...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

OK so to basically check out the laser I threw in a piece of 1/8 cast and cut it the threw in a piece of 1/4 and cut it. Same setting as I tried with the extruded. So I guess my lens and mirrors or ok as you can see its fairly fine cutting. I also engraved a bunch of cast yesterday came out fine.
    So will I get better cut results on the extruded if I leave paper on?Amazing Grace (Copy).jpggreen is 1/8 clear 1/4
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I used to work at a Plastics Company this is a very common brand it's just extruded acrylic. It cuts just fine I have used the stuff for over 15 years. Does not extrude because it's extruded. Use cast instead

why am I not able to cut it then
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

So any ideas why I can't cut this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    I used to work at a Plastics Company this is a very common brand it's just extruded acrylic. It cuts just fine I have used the stuff for over 15 years. Does not extrude because it's extruded. Use cast instead
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

When you said “full air”how many psi? I had a severe charring issue with 1/16” ABS suddenly, and tried a lot of things like cleaning and focus checking. Finally after some wasted time it turned out to be the air pump worn to the point where the usual 25 lbs was only 16. Changing to a compressor did the trick, but then I found by experimenting that 35 lbs. was even cleaner. If you can, try more air and see if it helps.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

No I have one of those cheap ones that came with it, seems to put out a good flow tho. I have no problem with any other material, cast, wood, leather , what ever just this stuff.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander