Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting SMC trend - long time members getting active again

Well looks like the multi-quoting is gone/ evaped, so...........

HI Lee
    HI Ken
    HI Joe
    HI Dennis

I've been trying to retire this last 2 years, staying at home, hanging out.

Hi Bruce, Business, family, etc happened. IOW, i kind of detoured into other activities.

My oldest kid is graduating in May with a Masters in Architecture. He has been doing a fair amount of woodworking for some of his design classes. He sort of re-focused my interests again to woodworking. How have you been?
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Hi Mr Clardy.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Well looks like the multi-quoting is gone/ evaped, so...........
    It's alive and well...'just click on the little computer screen looking thingie with the plus sign at the bottom, right of each post you want to multi-quote.

And it's good to see you, Steve!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Hi Mr Clardy.
    Hi back Mr. Mioux

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's alive and well...'just click on the little computer screen looking thingie with the plus sign at the bottom, right of each post you want to multi-quote.

And it's good to see you, Steve!
    Ahhhh....I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.

Whatz up Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Hi Bruce, Business, family, etc happened. IOW, i kind of detoured into other activities.

My oldest kid is graduating in May with a Masters in Architecture. He has been doing a fair amount of woodworking for some of his design classes. He sort of re-focused my interests again to woodworking. How have you been?
    I'm doing well. I retired a few years ago and bought myself a CNC to play with. I haven't been building much else. Glad to hear you & yours are doing well!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post

Whatz up Jim....

"Same stuff, different day, bigger pile". Seriously, I retired from full time employment last fall and am working to monetize my shop to supplement my retirement income until I start to take SS in about 6 years. I'm about to add a CNC machine to the fold and that will broaden things from the equestrian tack storage commissions I was already taking, etc. All is well, my friend!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "Same stuff, different day, bigger pile". Seriously, I retired from full time employment last fall and am working to monetize my shop to supplement my retirement income until I start to take SS in about 6 years. I'm about to add a CNC machine to the fold and that will broaden things from the equestrian tack storage commissions I was already taking, etc. All is well, my friend!

All right! those tack trunks were my retirement plan.

On a more serious note, I'd love to see your designs. I've been playing around with an upright, bow front, "wardrobe" design, on and off for a few years. It would be on wheels the lock.The biggest hurdle to overcome is weight. I think if I ever get serious, I'll just use some aircraft grade sitka spruce plywood, with a veneer over it.
    The trunks I've seen are pretty "basic". Just a box made out of plywood, stapled together.
    Most of the folks I've talked to want a design that doesn't encourage people to sit on their trunks. I guess that's a problem.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike, I haven't done any of the "locker type" as they are not popular in this area, but would probably use the same construction methods as I have for the "regular" trunk-type-trunks. Some have an additional drawer unit under them. I'm using road-case type handles as standard now. My construction method is 1/2" veneer plywood with 1/4" thick solid stock trim and 3/4" solid for the lid aprons. I'm thinking about some ways to add features and enhancements with the CNC, too. Here are a few examples of previous work and there are a bunch of threads here at SMC on these things over the years:

This is my personal trunk...which lives in the house now because the farm we have Elvis at has lockers and doesn't permit trunks. Cherry, of course. And that embedded drawer was a bit of work with the trim!

I generally get between $800 and $1500 per unit as these are all custom build and designed for the particular client.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-25-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    --

Jim

Very nice!!
    I saw a few at the Equine Affair that were nowhere near this nice, and they were asking close to your lower level. That Rubbermaid plastic trunk is $200.00.

I made a tool box many ago and forgot to dado the inside for the bottom. It kicked around the house and garage for a few years and then my wife appropriated it as her "tack trunk". I keep telling her that I'll make her a nicer one, but she likes that one.

Once again.
    Nice work

PS
    I can't see any of your trunks post 2010. It gives a 3rd party photo hosting error message.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-25-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    PS
    I can't see any of your trunks post 2010. It gives a 3rd party photo hosting error message.
    Weird...they are all from the same place. (Microsoft 365) I'll send you something privately that you should be able to get to.
    --