Thread: looking for a second bandsaw

looking for a second bandsaw

I have a 14" Craftex bandsaw and am getting tiered of blade changes. I normally have a 3/4" resaw blade on it but every once and a while I need to cut a tighter curve . Does anyone have any opinions on a 9 or 10" benchtop band saw. The thickest wood I would be cutting would be 2" thick. I am leaning towards the Rickon 10-305
    Thanks
    Al

I have the Rikon 10” as a secondary saw that works well. Do a forum search, there’s a lot of info on it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Check out the 9" one at Harbor Freight. I have a PM1500 for my main bandsaw with a 1/2" 3 TPI in blade on it most of the time for making lathe blanks. Too much blade for doing a tight curve or thin wood. I have had one of the HF 9" ones for small stuff for 6 ~ 8 years and no problems. Right now $140.00 regular. Pick up a 20% coupon and get it for $112.00. With a 25% coupon I think I paid around $80 back when I got mine.

I have the Rikon 10" with a Carter Stabilizer on it as my second bandsaw. I am very happy with it.

Ditto to what Larry said.

I have the Sears made by Rikon great little saw takes care of all the curve cuts and I use the 14 " Jet for resawing.
    Bob

Pick up the latest issue of Wood Magazine (#253, May 2018) - they compare various 9-10" saws under $500. They called the Rikon 10-305 their Top Tool in this category and the Grizzly G0803 their Top Value (it's $200 vs $300 for the Rikon). Of course, those are magazine reviews and you have to filter what you read. But their rating on the Rikon seems supported by other comments you are getting here.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks all. I ordered the Rikon from a company called Great Western Saw in Saskatoon Sask. I wish we could get the same options of vendors in Canada as you get in the United States.Price was comparable once I add in the exchange
    Al

9. I have a little 9" Ryobi that I use more often than my 14" band saw. It is okay, but the 10" Rikon is much nicer. I'd buy the Rikon if I didn't already have the Ryobi and hadn't tweaked it to bring it up to snuff. I make a lot of little parts, jigs, and gizmos, so the little bandsaw is very useful to me.