Thread: 1/4 " Hardboard

1/4 " Hardboard

Where can I purchase 1/4 " Hardboard? I would like to make templates and use it for jigs.
    From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."
    Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Just about any big box store will have it in stock.

If I recall correctly, the hardboard is usually 1/8” or 3/16”.
    For 1/4” jigs and such, mdf is a great choice and readily available, or Baltic birch if you have a good plywood supplier.

No 1/4" near me. Even my hardwood supplier carries 3/16" now.

Seems to be the new normal.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

It’s sometimes hard to find at the Borg. They carry mostly thinner stuff. Go to a lumber yard if they don’t have any.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am trying to make a jig from a woodworking magazine and the always show in the plans to use 1/4" Hardboard.
    From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."
    Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

It used to be easy to get 1/4" "hard board", but I suspect like everything else, when costs/prices went up, like other sheet goods, thickness was "sacrificed" to preserve the price point. I'll also state that I very often use 1/4" MDF for jigs and patterns as it's relatively inexpensive and "hard" enough for the task.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"Hardboard" from big box store is not nearly the same as tempered hardboard bought from a professional (cabinetmakers supply) plywood distributor. I use Duron brand of tempered hardboard all the time and its twice as stiff as "hardboard" from big box. When I need simple cheap template stock the softer stuff works ok, but the tempered Duron machines better, and is harder.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I use 1/4" MDF.

I use a good deal of 3/16" hardboard for school projects. It doesn't stay flat. If you are skinning something with it, or don't care about flat, it's fine, but chances are your jig will require better stability.

The other pain about BORG hardboard is that it's usually only one-side-smooth.

MDF stays flatter better.

What in particular are you making? Sometimes it pays to use UMHW or lexan.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    MDF stays flatter better.
    What in particular are you making? Sometimes it pays to use UMHW or lexan.
    I keep thicker MDF on hand. When I need a thinner piece for a jig or something I resaw it on the bandsaw.

BTW, I do the same with HDPE but usually for smaller things. Mostly I use the HDPE since some huge sheets of 1" thick fell into my truck. But usually the clear plastic of the right thickness makes more sense and it is easy to drill/tap or glue.

JKJ

Single sided 1/4” melamine might be a good template material also. The substrate is mdf not particleboard.