Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum for the house. Shark ????

Vacuum for the house. Shark ????

What Vacuum do you have for the house?

After reading a ton of reviews I had decided on the Shark 501.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rotator-Profe...ords=shark+501
    I went and looked at them at two local stores. Each one was broken. The vac weight was a lot more than expected. The vac head was not very wide. Had a ton of plastic that snapped on and off the unit. Was kinda surprised at all the good reviews for $200.
    Have not ruled it out but like to know if anyone here owns one and their experience after a year or two of use.

What other vac can you recommend?
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Miele canister for whole house cleaning, and a Electrolux stick for spot cleaning. Been using this combination for about 10 years.

The Sanitare the model most of the motels I stayed at used. I got 4 brand new ones from the stores that I installed their fixtures and casework. I used one for clean up for 10 years and it still is going strong. This is cleaning up on a construction site and 8,000 sq feet of carpet so we could set the gondola.

I have a Miele canister in use for twenty years. It has worked so well that other brands I have used, Hoovers and Eureka, are not regarded, by me, as machines of equal magnitude.

Blog Entries

Shark is very powerful

We have had a Shark for a couple of years. We have people who clean our house and bring their own vacuum. Once in a while we need to clean up ourselves (for example after my grandson leaves), the Shark picks up far more dirt than any vacuum we have ever had. We are very impressed by its cleaning power, however, since we only use it occasionally, I can't comment on its durability .
    Dennis

We have a Shark, I think the model is Navigator or something. It works very well but with one shortcoming. The canister is held to the base with two plastic clips. The 'nubs' on the canister that the latches engage have broken off on two canisters. There's a 5 year warranty and they sent us a whole new machine. I think if one of the 'nubs' breaks off after the warranty expires I'll just make a J shaped metal strip and bolt it on. I'm not familiar with the models but I'd recommend the one with the larger dust cannister. And yes I've been seeing Sharks at hotels/motels after years of Oreck.

When I vacuum, I use this commercial backpack, less than $200, very maneuverable, light weight, well-built, powerful, long cord, perfect for steps and corners, great for the shop too:

vacuum_cleaner.jpg

My Lovely Bride prefers an upright for carpets.

JKJ

When we, well when my wife..., got our Dyson she used the canister first, then the Dyson to see what it would pick up. Couldn't believe what the canister left behind!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    ...What other vac can you recommend?
    If you can make it work, consider a central vacuum system. It moves the noise, the dustbag and the dust that blows through any vacuum outside the living area. It's more powerful. Depending on your house, with a 25 or 30 foot hose you might get away with a single port in the wall. You can get one of those cool things set in the toespace under a kitchen cabinet where you kick it open with your foot and just sweep toward it. Yes, the hose is bulkier than an power cord but not as much as you might think and they can survive being stepped on.

I've installed 2 of them at a cost of $2-300 each. In both cases I bought a clearance or demo vacuum unit, added the necessary pieces and installed it myself. I was over 65 when I did the first and over 70 when I did the second. The tubing all went into crawl spaces and up inside interior walls. I won't pretend it was all easy but it was doable. With the right house layout, it would be a breeze.

Miele Flamenco II. Works great after 20+ years.

Miele. Used to have an expensive, at the time I bought it, Hoover that left me suffering from the fine dust that passed through the paper filters. That stopped with the Miele's spun fibre bags and HEPA filtered final stage exhaust. It is quieter too.

We have a Shark similar to the one in your link and it is the best vacuum we have ever owned. That is comparing maybe a dozen or so models of different types and brands over 43 years. The one we have is not just an upright. You can separate the canister part and walk around the house with it and the bare floor hose. That is a feature worth having. We have had ours for a couple of years.

Wife and I bought a Shark Rotator about 18 months ago... Best vacuum we have ever had... It gets the dirt out without the typical dust blowing back that the Hoovers ( two of them) had... Simple to dump put the dirt. Lots of suction...

We have had several Sharks and they have been good vacuum cleaners.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can buy a Dyson DC33 for the same money. We just replaced our 15+ year old (That I accidentally broke) Dyson of similar design with one 2 weeks ago. The old Dyson still worked as good as the first day we bought it. FWIW, we borrowed one of the new Dyson “ball” vacuums and hated it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney