Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum for the house. Shark ????

We've had the Shark Navigator for a few years now and it is great. No problems or issues with it but if I could change one thing on it, it would be the hose portion. It is too short and stiff to use comfortably. Reminds me of trying to use a shopvac hose, always fighting it. Other than that, best vacuum we have ever had.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

We love are Dyson.

When out new house was built, Mrs. just had to have a new ball dyson. It is a tank and difficult to use the hose and attachments. An acquaintance who cleans house for folks, swears by the shark and it does weigh less than the dyson. We still have our old el cheapo dirt devil upright that cost $30.00 and while it may not have the suction of the dyson, it is much lighter and easier to use. Although cleaning the filters is a PIA.

Even house vacs are loud and the user should be wearing ear protection. Uprights are only sold in the USA and Britain. The rest of the world has figured out a canister is lighter weight and about half the noise at ear height.
    Bill D.

I have wished for a long time that 15 amp motors were allowed on house vacuums, instead of being limited to 12 amps. We've worn out many brands, but the Miele we have now has been, by far, the longest lasting. It's like the engineers at Mercedes, and BMW got together, and designed a vacuum cleaner.

We've had the Shark Rocket for about two years. I like that it's easily maneuverable and lightweight. However, after only two years, the head has developed a rattle, probably a brush bearing going bad. I called about getting a replacement head but the cost is over $100.

We just bought a Kenmore upright that was top-rated by Consumer Reports. It's much heavier than the plastic Oreck it replaced, but we could tell immediately that it was pulling more dirt.

Uprights for carpet; canisters for bare floors, is the standard advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    We've had the Shark Rocket for about two years. I like that it's easily maneuverable and lightweight. However, after only two years, the head has developed a rattle, probably a brush bearing going bad. I called about getting a replacement head but the cost is over $100.

Thought the Shark had a 5 year warranty?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thought the Shark had a 5 year warranty?
    I looked it up and you're right, Dave. This gives me some hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I looked it up and you're right, Dave. This gives me some hope.

Be interested in how it works out for you.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Be interested in how it works out for you.
    Well, I don't think the condition of the vacuum cleaner is at the point where it's clear there's a problem, only an unusual rattle when the brush rolls, but it was noticeable enough for me to call about a replacement head. Fortunately for me, I've still got three years to see if a disabling condition develops.

We have a Kirby and a Festool vacuum. The Kirby is used for the carpets, I use the Festool for vacuuming floors, bookcases, furniture etc.

The Kirby is 18 years old, still works like a charm. Both the Kirby and the Festool don't emit dust when vacuuming, I'm no longer sneezing when I vacuum.

Interesting test on the Kirby below.

https://www.greatvacs.com/education/...uumReview.html

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    We have a Shark similar to the one in your link and it is the best vacuum we have ever owned. That is comparing maybe a dozen or so models of different types and brands over 43 years. The one we have is not just an upright. You can separate the canister part and walk around the house with it and the bare floor hose. That is a feature worth having. We have had ours for a couple of years.
    Very useful indeed for vacuuming steps. Shark also has an air driven small carpet head that works not great but better than I thought it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Miele canister for whole house cleaning, and a Electrolux stick for spot cleaning. Been using this combination for about 10 years.
    Ditto on the Miele. Quiet and works. Retractable cord is HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    If you can make it work, consider a central vacuum system. It moves the noise, the dustbag and the dust that blows through any vacuum outside the living area. It's more powerful. Depending on your house, with a 25 or 30 foot hose you might get away with a single port in the wall. You can get one of those cool things set in the toespace under a kitchen cabinet where you kick it open with your foot and just sweep toward it. Yes, the hose is bulkier than an power cord but not as much as you might think and they can survive being stepped on.

I've installed 2 of them at a cost of $2-300 each. In both cases I bought a clearance or demo vacuum unit, added the necessary pieces and installed it myself. I was over 65 when I did the first and over 70 when I did the second. The tubing all went into crawl spaces and up inside interior walls. I won't pretend it was all easy but it was doable. With the right house layout, it would be a breeze.

Beam central vac