Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a saw

What to do with a saw

I have an 18" Disston crosscut saw I bought at a flea market last summer. I've been restoring it, and am at the point where, once the handle is finished, I will need to sharpen this saw, as it is definitely dull, though the teeth are in good shape otherwise.
    I just converted another saw to rip today, and that went very well. Cuts like butter, cuts straight, and does not mess around doing it, either. Now I need to learn to sharpen crosscut. That's the next step. I have this little Disston, a full sized No. 7, and a Warranted Superior, all in crosscut. I do plan to convert the WS to rip, as soon as I get the wood to make a handle for it.
    I know common wisdom I have read here is that most of the time you want a full size handsaw for rip cuts, and the smaller panel saws are best filed crosscut, the idea being that if you are ripping, the extra length really helps.
    I work outdoors right now, so space to work or wield a saw is not a problem, but I will be erecting a 10'x12' shed in the spring or summer to use as a shop. I plan to put my bench about a third of the way from the back wall, so I can work around it.
    Does anyone use these smaller saws in rip format? What is your experience, or advice?
    Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-10-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed the title

Yes, I use panel saws filed to rip.
    I have a 20" 7 point in my installation tool box. It comes in handy for making rip cuts in casing. It cuts really fast in 3/4" pine.I also use it to crosscut 2 X 4's, for instance cutting out a bottom plate in a door opening. It works well for that, too.
    In one of his videos, Paul Sellers advocates using a panel saw filed rip for deep cuts, such as wide tenons.That made sense to me, so I sharpened a 18" panel saw to 10 points rip. So far, I haven't used it, but it's there if I need it!
    Rick

Blog Entries
    My advice is enjoy using your saw. I have a short saw that I use on occasion.

Blog Entries
    When ripping a short piece in a confined space a shorter saw can be handy. My short rip saws are often used on top of the bench with the aid of bench hooks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The last dew days I have been focused on resharpening all of my hand saws. Included is this Atkins saw that I had previously shortened to 18" and retoothed to 11 ppi.

10 degrees of slope was added to the rip tooth profile

The tooth set was balanced on each side of the saw plate using a machine vise and masking tape.

Thanks, Gentlemen.
    Stewie, that saw is lovely.

Sloped gullets.

Stanley No.20.jpghandle.jpgrip saw.jpg
    Haven't the slightest idea who made this one...was apparently cut down from longer saw...stamped as a 5-1/2 ppi.
    Picked it during the World's Longest Yard Sale last year WS medallion.

Thanks for the information, Stewie!
    Steven, I love how hand tool woodworkers alter tools to suit their needs.
    I think I will keep this one crosscut, and let it be my first attempt at sharpening. i have looked at many videos and read many threads on it, it's time to give it a shot. I do plan to look for another shorter saw that I can turn to rip, or an older saw I can cut down. If I go that route, when the time comes I'll be asking more questions when I have the specific saw in hand.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 03-11-2018 at 8:11 PM.

Mike, imo the best instructional video on how to sharpen a western handsaw is by Andy from the U.K https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_MF2Mnxwc

Thanks, Stewie. I'll give that a look.

Awesome! It's two hours long! I need some popcorn.

Freshly sharpened D8 Panel Saw. 20" tooth line x 10 ppi. Circa 1917-1928.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-12-2018 at 5:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have a short rip saw. It came to me broken and I filed it rip. Go for it.

stewie you did a great job cleaning up that saw!!!! jerry