Thread: Any experience with Target CL-100 in EM-6000?

Any experience with Target CL-100 in EM-6000?

Target sells a "cross-linker" product, CL-100, that they claim "will improve the physical durability of EM6000 by tightening the molecular structure of the cured resin" (the quotation is from the EM6000 TDS). They then say to refer to the CL-100 TDS, but there isn't one available on their download page.

My questions are: Has anybody out there used this combination, and if so what are the advantages and drawbacks compared to plain EM6000? What's the approximate pot life of the mixture? Does it impact the "burn in" performance of the finish at all, for example by reducing the time between coats to achieve a uniform/rub-able finish?

FWIW I have a turbine HVLP rig (Fuji Q5) and am considering making the transition to WB lacquers. EM-6000 seems to be almost a default choice for that purpose, though I'm open to other suggestions.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 03-10-2018 at 8:50 PM.

I've never considered it for EM6000, but thought about it for EM8000cv not long ago. Apparently, the cross-linker is compatible with most of the Target offerings which is good because a container of it seems to go a long way! I'm interested in comments you receive from others who have used it since I pretty much only use Target Coatings, um...coatings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had difficulty getting it to mix properly on the test batch I tried. The end result was a very gritty surface, almost like sand in the finish. Pot life is 24 hours. If you do try it be sure to run some test samples first because it is very sensitive to how it is mixed into the 6000.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    I had difficulty getting it to mix properly on the test batch I tried. The end result was a very gritty surface, almost like sand in the finish. Pot life is 24 hours. If you do try it be sure to run some test samples first because it is very sensitive to how it is mixed into the 6000.
    Thanks, this is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Out of curiosity did you stir the 6000 while adding the CL-100? Although there is no TDS that I can find for the CL-100, the product page has "directions for use" that address exactly the issue you describe ("sandy/gritty finish") and ascribe it to under-agitation of the resin when adding the cross-linker.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 03-11-2018 at 1:02 AM.

I have used it with EM2000 and had 2 results. When the CL-100 was fresh it worked great, and you can't really tell any difference in the finished product especially with EM2000 because its already one of their strongest finishes. I then tried it again about 4 months later from the same bottle and got the sandpaper finish like Robert. I called Target and talked to Jeff, he said that the product has a definite short shelf life and the grit finish was the result when it goes off. I just sanded out the grit and just applied another topcoat of straight EM2000. I dropped using Target Coatings because their pricing was getting into the stupid zone and switched to SW Sayerlack.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Thanks, this is exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Out of curiosity did you stir the 6000 while adding the CL-100? Although there is no TDS that I can find for the CL-100, the product page has "directions for use" that address exactly the issue you describe ("sandy/gritty finish") and ascribe it to under-agitation of the resin when adding the cross-linker.
    Yes, I had read that before using it and I was mixing my small sample batches with a drill mounted agitator. I added th CL very slowly with plenty of agitation and let it rest for the prescribed time before use. I had the exact same result with the samples of 6000, 8000 and 9300 that I tried. I think John may be onto the root cause, old CL.

In in the end I opted to skip the cross linker, based on my (admittedly limited) experience I was not willing to risk ruining the finish on a 500 hour piece. I ended up used straight 6000.