Thread: Want to make a boat for fishing season.

Want to make a boat for fishing season.

Hello Folks,

I'm looking to build a small 1-2 person canoe, kayak or boat for this coming fishing season in spring. It doesn't have to be pretty. Just relatively lightweight so one man can move it and CHEAP. I can get my hands on plenty of green lumber, and cheap fasteners. I have a small woodshop mostly comprised of hand tools.

I've done carpentry for a number of years, some tree felling, splitting etc, green woodwork and a small bit of cabinetry. I've never even gone near a boat really, and have no clue where to start. anyone have any suggestions for a cheap boat to enjoy this fishing season or possibly plans?

-The Village Carpenter

In my view "green lumber and cheap fasteners" is not what you need to build a boat, especially if you want it to be light. I am afraid you may be oversimplifying the project.

For a cheap and light weight boat....you have just described a skin-on-frame (SOF) boat.
    Phil

Blog Entries
    Go to woodenboat.com and ask the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Mosher View Post
    ... I've never even gone near a boat really, and have no clue where to start. anyone have any suggestions...
    First, go near a boat. Several if possible. Find one you can live with on Craigslist for this season and build for the next one. Then you can sell the first one. You will thank me.

And whatever you do, don't find plans for a boat that's almost the right size and think you can just size it up or down a bit. That doesn't work well with boats.

Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    ...Find one you can live with on Craigslist for this season...
    This. Go find a used boat, for free or nearly free, that needs fixing.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks for all the replies. I'll see what I can dig up!

Has anyone ever tried making a raft? I know that wouldn't be the "light option" but just also something i'm interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Mosher View Post
    ...Has anyone ever tried making a raft? ...
    Many, many people, although I'm not one of them. Years ago I saw a raft floating down the Tigris River made of logs and about 50 inflated animal skins, probably sheep. In Seattle they have an event call the Milk Carton Derby where all the boats use milk cartons for flotation. I have a friend who attached some styrofoam to a lawn chair and found that yes, he could float down the river but no, he could not keep his butt out of the water and it tipped a lot.

The point of all that is there are many ways to build a raft, some of them are cheaper and easier than others. Your second one will probably be better than your first, so by all means build one.