Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truck bed extenders

I made a 2x6 frame that sat behind the cab and was clamped to the top edges of the box and was just higher than the cab roof. So basically half a roof rack. I carried a lot of long stuff balanced between the rack and the top of the closed tailgate and held with lots of ratchet straps, some was 26 feet long. 12' to 16' feet was a breeze. A 16' load would only have about 5' overhanging the tailgate and 12' would have 3'. Kept a staple gun and a couple red shirts or towels for flags. You need to be aware of how high things are above the front of the truck when you get home and have to go under branches or low roofs etc, but there was never any issues with overpasses and the like. You need to also keep in mind the centre of gravity may be higher and further back than empty so no hard cornering. That was on a 1990 Nissan back in the days when they were still small trucks.

This reminds me of how a friend hauled pipe too long for his 4x4. He tied it under the truck to the front and back receivers with the load protruding at both ends!

Blog Entries
    I could make you one, but shipping would be expensive : )

You must know someone with a better horse trailer. If you volunteer to fix something on it (always there is something) you should have use of it free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    You must know someone with a better horse trailer. If you volunteer to fix something on it (always there is something) you should have use of it free.
    I'd not about "better" relative to the horse trailer...what he has will carry 7-8' material just fine. But horse trailers generally cannot be left open at the back, at least the lower portion which includes his Brenderup Euro trailer. Many, if not most 2 horse trailers have ramps that must be folded up for travel. Larger horse trailers (more than 2 horse) are generally goosenecks and unless his truck is setup for that, borrowing larger is a non-starter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    As a matter of fact, now that you mention it, I do. He has a car carrier that he uses to haul hay. I think I see where you're going here.

My Horse trailer is a two horse, bumper pull, Brenderup ,trailer. It has a ramp in back, so it can't be down while towing. It has about 11' of open space across the floor, so long material won't fit in it very well. I've hauled lumber, two rough cut walnut flitches, in it and it kind of sucks. It would be great for sheet rock and 2x4's.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)