Thread: How would you fix this goof?

How would you fix this goof?

I had a total brain fart today and ended up putting a groove in the wrong side of the face frame for the built-in cabinet I'm currently working on. I had even conspicuously marked the good/face side to avoid this kind of mistake, but the best laid plans and all... Anyway the groove runs the length of one of the stiles, and I can't flip the frame and use the "back" because the two stiles are purposely different widths to account for a very wonky wall. Soooo, I figure I can either:

1) fill the groove with another piece, milled to fit the groove. Glue it in, plane/sand flush, etc. The cabinet is going to be painted, so not worried about grain match.

2) rip the stile off, mill up a new one, and re-assemble

I'm leaning toward option 2, as I'm worried that the repair ala option 1 is going to eventually telegraph through the painted finish.

Votes? Other Thoughts?

-Tom

Option 2.

John

What John said.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Yup That’s the way to go
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Option 2. In the end it may be faster than the other option and will certainly decrease the possibility of it be visible.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Option 1 will work if glued with epoxy or resorcinol, otherwise option 2. Cheers

#2.........................What Ken said.

Go with #2, unless there is some good reason not to. Assuming you have enough stock to remake it, just remake it and not fiddle with trying to patch.

Option 2. Bet you could make a whole new faceframe before option 1 looked good enough to paint.