Thread: Grizzly Model G0514XF

Grizzly Model G0514XF

I bought a Grizzly 19" heavy-duty bandsaw in 2011. I had some initial difficulties with it (vibration), but after Grizzly sent me a new set of cast iron wheels the vibration became tolerable. I am a weekend wood-worker with a full time job that keeps me out of the shop way too much. Over the seven years I've had this saw I probably didn't put 10 hrs on it. A couple of months ago I was cutting some light weight styrofoam panels and the saw wouldn't start. The motor would begin to turn, but then trip the overload switch before it got up to speed. I called Grizzly technical support and after two months of trouble shooting and $100 worth of switches and capacitors I was left with the same problem. Grizzly told me that the machine was obviously out of warranty and there was nothing they could do but take my order for a new $500 motor. I'm really reluctant to buy another Grizzly motor given what happened. Does any other manufacturer make a motor that would fit this saw? I know there are other brands of motors out there with similar specifications, but the face of the motor contains 4 holes that allow the motor to be bolted to a mounting plate to be fitted to the saw. Are those holes a standard, or is that specific to Grizzly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How comfortable are you with taking things apart? Since you've already replaced the capacitors, I would check the centrifugal switch in the motor (unless you have already replaced it based on your comment about $100 worth of switches and capacitors. If the centrifugal switch is stuck closed, that would trip the overload.

I took a look at the manual and parts list for the Grizzly Extreme Series 19" bandsaw. It doesn't give the NEMA motor frame size, but it should be listed on the motor nameplate. Any C-face (flange mount) motor of that frame size with the same size shaft would probably fit, but I would check the centrifugal switch out and try to run the motor on a bench first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    How comfortable are you with taking things apart? Since you've already replaced the capacitors, I would check the centrifugal switch in the motor (unless you have already replaced it based on your comment about $100 worth of switches and capacitors. If the centrifugal switch is stuck closed, that would trip the overload.

I took a look at the manual and parts list for the Grizzly Extreme Series 19" bandsaw. It doesn't give the NEMA motor frame size, but it should be listed on the motor nameplate. Any C-face (flange mount) motor of that frame size with the same size shaft would probably fit, but I would check the centrifugal switch out and try to run the motor on a bench first.
    Thanks Dave, but I've been through all of that with Grizzly "Tech Support". The centrifugal switch was working just fine. Contacts were clean and the switch operated as it should. I've had the entire motor apart on the bench. The inside is factory clean. It appears the start winding may be bad. The motor draws 135 amps at start up. I checked the nameplate on the motor and it doesn't list a frame size.
    IMG_20180310_124054857.jpg

If someone here isn't able to answer your question, you might take the motor to a local motor shop and see if they can measure it and order something that's the same frame.

I’m no help but I am in a similar situation with the same saw...excessive vibration. Luckily my motor still works though. I barely used the same during the warranty period, and in fairness to grizzly, I dont remember in vibrating as badly then. But for the last 3 years it’s been borderline unusable at times. Grizzly was great with tech support and we sent various parts back and forth but ultimately it never really fully resolved. I’m left with the problem of what to do with it.
    A- I don’t want to spend another couple grand on a new saw (because I’m certainly not going to buy the same on again)
    B- what the heck to do with the one I have. I can’t in good conscience sell it to someone but can’t exactly set it out by the road for the trash man 😉

Anyway, the pint of all that rambling is good luck with your issue! I understand your quandary!

I'm with you Marc. I have a Grizzly jointer (G0490), drill press (G7948), and band saw (G0514XF). I'm not very happy with any of them. I tolerate them, but I certainly wouldn't recommend any of them. At the time I was setting up my shop they looked attractive, but after using them for a few years, I am disappointed. I really hate the idea of shelling out $500 for a new motor for a saw I don't really like, but I really don't believe I have many options. The bolt pattern on the front of the motor is asymmetrical and I am unable to find a motor from a different manufacturer that will fit that bolt pattern. I've learned my lesson with Grizzly.

I bought a grizzly shaper about 18 years ago. Nothing but trouble from the start. Just gathers dust in corner of shop now. I've been looking for a new jointer but don't think I will ever go grizzly route again. Sorry that doesn't help you any just saying.

Probably an IEC motor mount not NEMA. NEMA is North American standard.
    No expert but search B5 or B14 motor flange dimensions.
    Bill D.

http://www.controlinmotion.com/links...pical-mo.shtml
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-12-2018 at 11:14 PM.