Thread: Bishop Saw

Bishop Saw

Hi Guys,

Just wanted a quick opinion on Bishop saws. I have been looking for a thumb hole rip saw in 5 or 5.5 for a bit and have had trouble finding one. I have had mixed results with ebay saws and all the ones I have bid on are going higher than I want to pay. I wandered into an antique shop yesterday with my wife while waiting for a table at a restaurant next door and found a Bishop saw that seems to check all the boxes for what I need. Saw plate is clean and in good shape, tooth line is dead straight and teeth all look good. It seems reasonably sharp although I will certainly sharpen it, should not have to do any reshaping though. Handle is very solid and in really good shape. It is marked a bit higher but I know based on negotiating with this shop before that I can have it for about $60. More than I wanted to pay, but on the other hand just having to do a quick sharpen and then using it with no more work is worth something.

I probably would have bought it last night but I didnt want to take it in to the restaurant with me, so now I have to decide if I am going back today to get it. The trouble is I really know very little about Bishop saws even though I did try and research a bit, the medallion shows it being from Cincinnati, I am not 100% sure if this dates it before they moved to Indiana in 1899 or so or not, but either way they only produced to about 1920. I have found a couple references to them being a more brittle saw plate although all seem to really be referencing back to a post here where a guy mentioned that "old timers in southern Ohio" said they were slightly more brittle than disston. That guy happened to love Bishop saws though.

Anyway if any of you have any experience with Bishops as a user please let me know, otherwise I am tempted to wander back down there around lunch time and pick it up.

brandon i have a rip and a cc hand saws made by george bishop i like them very much. they sharpen well and stay sharp a long time for me anyway. i think disston bought them out at some point. jerry

I have a couple of GWB's backsaws. Excellent saws. The steel is great, the plates run true in the cut, the handles are very nice and the logo is cool. I have 20 or so Disstons, but the Bishop's have a special place in my toolchest.

I have one Bishop backsaw. Sharpened to perfection by Mike Allen. It’s now my go to. Excellent saw.

Blog Entries
    My only Bishop saw is a #10, a dual edged saw with a spine. It is a good saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well I got the saw, at even a little better discount than I thought.

Seems to cut ok as is, will be sharpening it and putting it to work this afternoon though.

The aftermarket wheat carving is interesting.

Well it took a bit more tooth shaping than I thought but is now very sharp and cutting well. I try to keep most saw purchases under $20 but I think this one was worth the bit extra.

Bishop saws don't seem to get the respect they deserve.
    Worse still, there's a dearth of information regarding models, manufacture, etc. -- when compared to Disston, Atkins or Simonds.

And now, a gratuitous pic of the handle of my Geo Bishop B 80 (check the figure in the closeup)

GB 013.jpgGB 036.jpg

IMAG0215.jpgIMAG0214.jpg
    Had one of Bishop's Panel saws come through the shop...maybe 3 years ago...

I've only started acquiring old hand tools. I intend to use them.
    My first handsaw is
    a Geo H. Bishop adjustable back saw/tenon saw. You can change the height of the "back" which is really a split bar with a bolt that lets you set a depth stop for dados and tenons. I had never seen one before. Going to restore it and try my hand at sharpening.

Geo H Bishop adjustable tenon saw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wolfe View Post
    I've only started acquiring old hand tools. I intend to use them.
    My first handsaw is
    a Geo H. Bishop adjustable back saw/tenon saw. You can change the height of the "back" which is really a split bar with a bolt that lets you set a depth stop for dados and tenons. I had never seen one before. Going to restore it and try my hand at sharpening.

Geo H Bishop adjustable tenon saw.jpg
    I have one exactly like it. Does anyone ever use theirs?