Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caster recommendations

Caster recommendations

I have bought quite a few of the Woodcraft casters with the red polyurethane tires and every one has delaminated.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced, medium duty (300+ lb rated) casters that will survive freezing winter shop temps? This is a reasonably level floor and I have no concerns about scuff marks but don't think I want all metal wheels.

This has been a huge disappointment. Even if I use the casters without the tires, I've lost the brakes.

I just had another thought, maybe I can find replacement wheels that will fit.

Thanks - Richard
    Last edited by Richard Dooling; 03-09-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    RD

I had the same problem with all my woodcraft casters. On about 8 or so the red part peeled off. This was in CA so no freezing but a lot of heat. I'm also looking for an alternative.

I own a manufacturing plant and use a wide variety of types of casters. Through the years, I have found two excellent sources, mainly because both give honest specifications for loads. Those sources are MSC and also Grizzly.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I have had good luck with http://www.castercity.com/industrial...uty-Industrial Tell them what you have and get a recommendation. Rated loads for casters need some study regarding temperature, surface, and long time set.

I buy my double locking casters from Lee Valley...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2nd vote for MSC
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I use the red locking casters from Home Depot (blasphemy! i know...) and it's been 3+ years and the only change has been the dust on the wheels. And I'm the type that re-arranges my shop every 2 months at least, so the casters does have some moderate use.

Polyurethane casters require regular movement in order to not destroy themselves. They might tolerate sitting in one spot if very lightly loaded. Used Polyolefin if you need something to be able to sit it one spot for long periods. Castercity.com has a good guide to match the caster to the requirements.

In various businesses I see chunks of Polyurethane wheels pretty much everywhere. Here is a section of floor from my shipping/receiving department showing smears polyurethane wheels failing and leaving tracks on the floor. These are from the high quality heavy duty polurethane wheels on US made pallet jacks so you can imagine how quickly the junk import wheels fail under the same use.

PolyWheelFail.jpg
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 03-09-2018 at 2:49 PM.

Please see

http://www.mjvail.com/carrymaster.htm

You may find them cheaper on e bay

Harbor Freight seems to have lost their edge in casters. I no longer see any with metal wheels. all the wheels are plastic with some kind of plastic for the tires. I doubt if the bearings are other then open sleeve now a days.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Harbor Freight seems to have lost their edge in casters. I no longer see any with metal wheels. all the wheels are plastic with some kind of plastic for the tires. I doubt if the bearings are other then open sleeve now a days.
    Bil lD.
    I buy those as well as ones from the BORG. They all seem to do ok, after several years.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've gotten mine from Northern Tool, and they have held up well.

I have all my machines on Woodcraft casters with only one failure, and that was recently....I'm wondering if they are of an age that all will start failing (~ 10 years old).

I have a couple of machines on the ones sold by Kreg. Plenty sturdy, but what I really like is that they lock down solidly and are easy to lock and unlock. Some others that I've used were a real pain in that regard. Their universal bench components are excellent, too.