Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caster recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Please see

http://www.mjvail.com/carrymaster.htm

You may find them cheaper on e bay
    Thanks for making me think to do that. I just got a set of four used 600's for 28.00 shipped.

Thanks for everyones responses. I’m thinking that Woodcraft changed something about how their caster are made since Bob says he’s had only one failure in ten years. I’ve lost the polyurethane tires on all but one of mine. That includes casters that started delaminating within a year or so. Loading is well below half the rated amount.

Greg, thanks for your info on the link between sitting for long periods and tire deterioration. I contacted Caster City and had a great conversation with one of their reps. He agreed with your comments but was still surprised that I had such a high failure rate with such light loading.

He also agreed that Polyolefin would be a good choice for my application. I found 4”, ball bearing casters that match the hub length (1 9/16”) and axle diameter (3/8”). They are rated at 300#. I ordered 4 to try them out and I’m hoping the wheel lock will engage - we’ll see.

$5.00 ea. + $14.82 shipping = $8.70 ea. Shipping is better per unit if you order more.
    RD

Jim, I see their pricing is pretty decent. Which ones did you order?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I buy my double locking casters from Lee Valley...
    RD

Richard, I regularly use the 3" double locking version for my tack trunk commissions, but have used the 4" and 5" sizes, too. I also have a couple sets of their 4" predecessors; one on my kitchen island and one on a shop cabinet.

I did buy the casters for my CNC machine from Caster City because of the weight and type. Nice folks. Great selection.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I was also very impressed with Caster City. I'll look at the LV selection again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Richard, I regularly use the 3" double locking version for my tack trunk commissions, but have used the 4" and 5" sizes, too. I also have a couple sets of their 4" predecessors; one on my kitchen island and one on a shop cabinet.

I did buy the casters for my CNC machine from Caster City because of the weight and type. Nice folks. Great selection.
    RD

I have also had good success with casters from Caster Depot, specifically the FootMaster Leveling Casters. The Woodcraft ones were very disappointing for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I own a manufacturing plant and use a wide variety of types of casters. Through the years, I have found two excellent sources, mainly because both give honest specifications for loads. Those sources are MSC and also Grizzly.
    I have 4 casters with the red wheels from Grizzly on the Jointer/Planer mobile base. Two swivel, two the wheels were removed from the metal mounting frame and used within the tube frames. Neither have shown any sign of failure for about 10 years. I think the casters are rated for 250 lbs. each and the machine weights around 500 lbs. so the wheels are only carrying about half their rated load.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 03-14-2018 at 6:37 AM.

We use a ton of Harbor freight casters for all the trade show displays we make. Some of those displays need 100 casters or more.

Surpluscenter.com has a large selection of casters. Of course I have not tried most of them, but the price are good and the things I have bought from them have been satisfactory.
    Zach

Made in the USA. Sell direct. Great product. Never broke one.

https://www.albioncasters.com/

I buy from Caster Depot also...

When they were Great Lakes Casters they offered the SMC10 (10% off for SMC members) discount which offset the shipping charges.

They also had a dynamite closeout/clearance section where you could snag a pennies on the dollar price on certain items.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks again for all the replies.

I received the 4" polyolefin wheels from Caster City and they are a good fit to replace the Woodcraft casters that delaminated. The brake works also but is stiffer. I think that's because there is a slight crown in the wheel and because the polyolefin is harder than the polyurethane.

Part # PB4x1.25B for anyone interested.
    RD