Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill press help needed asap

Drill press help needed asap

HI- I bought a 17" Steel City drill press. It was 400$ out the door, and I added an albrecht keyless chuck- which cost more than the drill press. This drill press HAS THE POTENTIAL- to be very good. When I am using a forstner bit, a drum (for sanding), or even drilling hardwood with a regular twist drill, the motor stays running, the belts/pulleys continue to turn, but the spindle and chuck STOP. I have tried it on different speeds, I have looked very carefully and have watched to confirm that this isn't simply the belts slipping on the pulleys. I wish it were that simple.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Its incredibly frustrating and there is no mention of this problem anywhere.

Thank you!!

Is the taper fully seated?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How did the new chuck go into the spindle? If it has a tapered shank it may be slipping. Try the chuck that came with the drill press and see if that works. An interna key could be sheared but not sure how your drill press is made.

Blog Entries
    You spent more for the chuck than for the DP???
    NOW you tell me...

Yes---it is. I had a problem with the cheapo chuck that came with it- (falling off), and when I got the albrecht I no longer had issues. I can see the entire spindle or quill or whatever- not spinning but the pulleys are turning. I originally thought the belt was slipping- but its not. I wish it were that simple. Its like there is some kind of clutch where that spindle and pulley meet.

Yes, because I can use that chuck for many things--- and it will last several years. The cheapo chuck that comes with it would fall off, would allow drill bits to slip and in general was worth about what they cost new (20$)- The albrecht chuck is keyless and is probably not worth 400$, but all that high quality stuff for machine shops is not cheap. The difference in quality is huge===and for what its worth- Even a big jacobs chuck for a drill press is spendy- about 100$-

I have no idea if it is the same for a "Steel City" drill press, but spindles are driven by the pulley they are mounted to, since it is belt drive. Chances are, the the keyway has either gotten damaged enough for the key or drive pin to either sheer or come off. Check the connection between the pulley above the spindle (not the one connected to the motor) by removing the belt. If you can grab the spindle with one hand, holding it firmly, and spin the belt pulley without turning the spindle, there's your problem. Something in there broke.

These chinese made machines are made from soft metal parts, and alot of the pulleys are nothing more than pot metal. They don't even make the effort to key in a solid cast iron or steel hub to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

I catch hell a lot around here for promoting vintage american machinery over the new "stuff" at the rockler's, home depot's, and wood crafts of the world, but this is the reason why.

Check this connection and report back. You either have a galled up spindle keyway, a broken hub on the pulley, or if you're very, very lucky, just the key or woodruff key or sheer pin (cheapest option) may have just come out or broken.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by mark stanley View Post
    I originally thought the belt was slipping- but its not. I wish it were that simple. Its like there is some kind of clutch where that spindle and pulley meet.
    Is there a loose or missing set screw on the pulley? Can you get above the drill press and look down on the pulley and shaft to see what's spinning and what isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by mark stanley View Post
    Yes---it is. I had a problem with the cheapo chuck that came with it- (falling off), and when I got the albrecht I no longer had issues. I can see the entire spindle or quill or whatever- not spinning but the pulleys are turning. I originally thought the belt was slipping- but its not. I wish it were that simple. Its like there is some kind of clutch where that spindle and pulley meet.
    I pulled up a parts manual for the Steel City (not sure if it's yours exactly), but it confirms my suspicions - - there is very little chance that they installed a clutch. (It looks like every import built in the last 30 yrs - - inlcd my Central Machinery version.)

This is the parts blow-up for the area I think is your issue:
    2018-03-09_10-47-53.jpg

I don't see a set screw or a key to lock the pulley to the quill. Diagram is not great, but I'd look at nut (93) to see if it is tight on the sleeve (11) - - I THINK this is threaded, but not sure.

If its tight and #11 is turning, then the issue probably lies further down - perhaps in parts 12-16? Looks like #14 is splined to drive the spindle (50), and this may be damaged....???

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-09-2018 at 12:01 PM.

WOW- I did NOT ask for bad news. I just wanted someone to tell me to adjust something or clean it----Ridiculous. However, at least you have offered me the only logical explanation---everyone else (well not on this forum) want to argue that the belt is slipping, or motor is bogging down, and NO AND NO. I even made a little you tube---it is hard to see but you can see the chuck clearly stopped- and the belt and pulley turning. Its not a quality video- its made to show anyone who might be able to help me.
    So Jeff- I need to take that whole quill and drive pulley- out, inspect, repair (HOPEFULLY)? Thank you! Here is the video. https://youtu.be/0dgJpaghWs4

Jeff- you are RIGHT on the money. I did exactly as asked, and voila- I can turn the pulley while holding the chuck. It takes very little effort- its not super easy- the pulley doesnt just spin- but I can turn it by hand while holding the pulley. So now i guess I have to take it apart.

Mark, before you take anything apart, see if there's a set screw anywhere on the pulley that you can tighten.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I pulled up a parts manual for the Steel City (not sure if it's yours exactly), but it confirms my suspicions - - there is very little chance that they installed a clutch. (It looks like every import built in the last 30 yrs - - inlcd my Central Machinery version.)

This is the parts blow-up for the area I think is your issue:
    2018-03-09_10-47-53.jpg

I don't see a set screw or a key to lock the pulley to the quill. Diagram is not great, but I'd look at nut (93) to see if it is tight on the sleeve (11) - - I THINK this is threaded, but not sure.

If its tight and #11 is turning, then the issue probably lies further down - perhaps in parts 12-16? Looks like #14 is splined to drive the spindle (50), and this may be damaged....???

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks Malcom-===there is no nut 93----I said clutch- because that shaft turns--when the going gets tough- so I said clutch "loosely" not knowing if it was supposed to work that way. I had an old "Buffalo Forge" drill press- USA MADE in 1954. HOWEVER---it got tired, and needed new bearings and a motor- the runout was getting bigger and bigger- and then it started screaming when it was on- so I searched and searched and found a bearing that would fit. The screaming stopped- but the beatings were far from over- as the motor died. The way it mounted- I had to use that motor- I tried finding a baldor and dayton motor via a friend at grainger- but nada. SO- I took it to a motor place, but they wanted 335$ to fix it- so I bought the steel city. I sold the buff for 200$- and I wish I had kept it. You cannot find products like them now days.

Anyway- I am certain this will fix it- now I just need to find the nut. It might be much easier said than done- Thanks for your help. I am very grateful and impressed with the help everyone gave. I hope to repay it in someway soon.

GUESS WHAT???? I FOUND THE NUT! It was laying next to the motor in the back of it- I assumed if that nut was on there- (at one time) or not- it "MIght" be in the general area- because I had no idea --what to buy- except I could try to measure that shaft. That nut was never installed- because this dumb thing has never worked right- and its not the kind of thing that would fall off---SO- I "ASSUMED"= that the drill press either was working as designed- (crappy)- or DEFECTIVE---and didn't think to look for something like that- but would have- as I was getting ready to take it apart- You can see- this is a big nut- it would have been VERY difficult to find- and I probably would have had to have one made- since steel city is no more---unless another (chinese) drill press used same- I could get part-

Thanks so much Malcom and Jeff- I appreciate yours and everyones help- nut.jpg

Its that nut- but very good advice- thank you--it doesn't apply in this situation- but your advice is solid-

Thanks again all- Mark