Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: combination table saw blade vs switching blades out

combination table saw blade vs switching blades out

Hi and thanks for your feedback.

I do alot of ripping long lengths of hardwood and cross cutting too, on my 3hp cabinet saw.
    What are the disadvantages of using a combination Blade versus switching blades out between ripping and cross-cutting?

I want to save saw blade switch out time but I do not want to sacrifice quality, or burn up my saw putting to much stress on my huge amounts of ripping using the wrong blade.

If you want the absolute best performance possible from your saw, go with high quality task specific blades. Using task specific blades requires owning at least two blades that each excel in a limited operating region, and are typically unacceptable for tasks outside of their intended scope. They also require blade changes for each different task for optimum results. Two task-specific blades (typically a 24T ripper and a 60T or 80T crosscutter) will generally stay sharp longer than a single general purpose blade because they share the work load, but will cost more upfront and will also cost more to re-sharpen when the time comes. Ripping with a good dedicated rip blade will be easier on your motor than a 40T or 50T combo blade, and will cause less burning. If you do a lot of ripping, especially in thicker materials, at the very least pick up a dedicated rip blade.

A general purpose blade will neither rip as efficiently as a true rip blade nor crosscut as cleanly as a dedicated crosscut blade, but you may find that it’s acceptable at doing both tasks for many situations. A valid argument in favor of using one high quality general purpose blade is that the GP blade leaves a cleaner edge than the rip blade, crosscuts faster than a crosscut blade, and does so with the convenience and cost of using one blade. Most higher quality general purpose blades will leave a glue ready edge, which is often as good as it needs to be.

It takes less than a minute to switch a saw blade....I switch blades for critical cuts where I want the finest cut, or when I'm doing a lot of consecutive rip cuts.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-09-2018 at 6:35 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Look at the results of your cuts using your current setup. If you are happy with the cuts, don't bother switching the blade. If not happy, switch the blade.

As Scott said, if you need the best performance and cut, use blades optimized for those tasks.

I find that 4 blades fit most applications

- 24 tooth rip

- 80 tooth crosscut

- combination blade

- 80 tooth triple chip

The combination blade doesn't rip thick material well, it's OK for thinner material.

Regards, Rod.

While task specific blades can offer the best performance, today's high-quality combination blades are very good for both ripping and crosscutting, particularly with the typical 1/2" - 1" material thicknesses that many woodworkers use. I use a Forrest WW-II most of the time, but have a 20t ripping version for when it's appropriate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the 30-tooth WWII thin-kerf with my Jet JPS-10. I think this is a near-ideal general-purpose blade for this saw. I prefer the lower tooth count and thin kerf to help with ripping on a saw that doesn't have a lot of excess hp. Crosscut performance is pretty decent, especially when new and with a zero-clearance insert, although I think my track saw crosscut is still a bit cleaner.

I haven't seen a lot of improvement with either a full-kerf rip blade or a couple of the Freud crosscut blades that I've tried, but I'm always interested to read about the benefits others report in these types of threads.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While task specific blades can offer the best performance, today's high-quality combination blades are very good for both ripping and crosscutting, particularly with the typical 1/2" - 1" material thicknesses that many woodworkers use. I use a Forrest WW-II most of the time, but have a 20t ripping version for when it's appropriate.
    +1

I have gone down both paths (mostly hardwood, plywood stuff only occasionally), and decided that the difference in the outcome of switching blade is negligible. I use a combo blade and save a lot of time: no more taking off the guard or removing the riving knife, cranking up the blade, replacing the blade, etc. I also have to double check the gap between the blade and the sawstop brake, just to be sure.

It is my standard routine to remove machine marks after stock is prepared. Switching blades offers me no benefits. Better spend time on what really matters.

Simon

I think Scott covered it about as well as possible. For me, I'm willing to take the minute or so required to change from a dedicated rip to a dedicated crosscut blade for the improved performance and cut quality they offer. I also have two table saws. One is set up primarily for ripping the other only for crosscutting with a sled. I still have to change the blade on the one used primarily for ripping to a dado set up occasionally.

John

I use a Ridge Carbide TS2000 99% of the time for everything. The only real time I switch it out is if I need to rip a bunch of hardwood that is over 1" thick. I put on a dedicated rip blade in that case.

Agreed. I generally use a Forrest WW-II or Freud combination blade and I will occasionally switch out to a crosscut blade.
    But there is a huge difference using a true rip blade in ease of feed and quality of cut. So I use that when I'm doing more than a couple of cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I use the 30-tooth WWII thin-kerf with my Jet JPS-10. I think this is a near-ideal general-purpose blade for this saw. I prefer the lower tooth count and thin kerf to help with ripping on a saw that doesn't have a lot of excess hp. Crosscut performance is pretty decent, especially when new and with a zero-clearance insert, although I think my track saw crosscut is still a bit cleaner.

I haven't seen a lot of improvement with either a full-kerf rip blade or a couple of the Freud crosscut blades that I've tried, but I'm always interested to read about the benefits others report in these types of threads.

Matt

Obviously there are a lot of variables, but I also think the 30T WWII hits a niche that no other single blade covers. It's not perfect, but as a one blade solution I think it covers a broader range than a 40T or 50T blade.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Obviously there are a lot of variables, but I also think the 30T WWII hits a niche that no other single blade covers. It's not perfect, but as a one blade solution I think it covers a broader range than a 40T or 50T blade.
    That is interesting. Is 30T WWII available in 1/8" kerf?

My riving knife is set to the right towards the fence side and I don't want to reset the riving knife when I use different blades; mine is a 40T WWII.

Simon

Simon, all of the Forrest blades I've owned have been dead on 1/8" kerf...it's one of the things that actually keeps me from trying other brands because so many of them are slightly different width of kerf. I don't want to have to deal with that since the Forrest is dead on lined up with both my riving knife and my scoring blade which is exactly 1/8" kerf. I'm using the 12" WW-II 48T most of the time now, but also have a couple of 10" 40T and the aforementioned 20T ripping monster.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My own solution was 2 Unisaws, one with a rip blade, the other with a combination blade. Plus a contractors saw with a 1/2" dado.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    My own solution was 2 Unisaws, one with a rip blade, the other with a combination blade. Plus a contractors saw with a 1/2" dado.
    Having more than one TS is certainly ideal, but I don't have the space. The 30T WWII is on my wish list now. I wish I had space for a cabinet saw dedicated for dado blades. I love finger joints for shop drawers.

I have seen a shop image showing one woodworker having THREE mitresaws on his station: one for mitre cuts on the left, one for cuts on the right and one for square cuts! Lucky him.

Simon