Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: CAMaster Stinger 1 or ShopSabre 23

I only ordered a Techniks 1/8" since Camaster is providing 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2.
    Going to have to make a bit/collet holder soon.

I also kept a few collet nuts on hand with the collets snapped in for a job to make the FTC change easier and faster. Be very careful when switching out collets that they are fully snapped in before installing them. If you bung up the threads or taper on a lower hp spindle too much, the fix is to replace the spindle, not send it in for repair. The few times I've had a crash, I tossed the cutter and collet. To me, that's part of the 'consumable' part.

So there are Shars ball bearing collet nuts on ebay that are less $ than the Techniks mini ER25 nuts. Is there something special about a ball bearing collet nut? If I should have 2 of these things, I want to buy the right one.

I ran the OEM nut the first 2 years and switched to this: https://www.maritool.com/product_inf...products_id=47
    Not too expensive and works great.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What makes that one better than the OEM?

There’s nothing wrong with the OEM nut. It’s a little difficult to explain but I like the maritool nut in that it does not immediately release the bit when you loosen the nut, it holds the bit until you turn the nut another ~ ¼ turn. That last ¼ turn can be done by gripping the nut, it does not require a wrench on the nut (usually) so it is easy to drop the bit into your hand as you loosen the nut. Hope that makes some sense..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have found that the ball bearing collet nuts often have balance issues when used on high rpm spindles.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Makes perfect sense Bruce. I've dropped enough bits from the drill press to see how that could be helpful.

Gary, I'm going to assume you are implying the HSD spindle is a high speed spindle.

Depending on model, 18-24,000 rpm.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC