Thread: File format?

File format?

Was wondering if anyone knows what format the CNC router machines accept. I have mastercam and want to know if it's compatible.

Generally machines use g-code. Most cam programs have a number of post-processors tailored to specific machines, as there may be some variations in features supported by the different machine controller, but generally what is output by your cam program is g-code.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

I understand G-code and M-code. After a program is written and the file is saved is it a xxxx.cam or xxxx.igs ect...

Mastercam outputs G-code to a *.nci ASCII file separate of the *.cam file.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Fletcher View Post
    Was wondering if anyone knows what format the CNC router machines accept. I have mastercam and want to know if it's compatible.
    It depends on the machine and the installed controller. I have a Chinese machine from a USA vender and it uses Mach 3 gcode format.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

As was noted, while G-Code is pretty much universally used, the file types tend to be specific to the post-processor and machine. The file extensions help the post processor and machine know that the code is for them as opposed to another machine and PP.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am using Mach 3 to control my CNCRP machine. I use VCarve to create 99% of my gcode files. They have a configuration file that knows how to talk Mach3. So, after I finish the design, Vcarve converts the model into gcode and saves the file as an ASCII .txt file. Any editor can open the file and edit/modify since it is just text. So, I guess the issue is whether or not your modeling software can convert to gcode and you can set it up for all the particulars of your machine/controller software. Does that make sense?

I can also use Fusion 360 to save the gcode file for Mach3. I can also save Sketchup files as STL and convert those to gcode. Lots of options out there. It can get a bit tricky because of the different requirements of each control software application. That's one thing I like about Vcarve - it is almost idiot proof. I have used gcode created by other programs (like for circuit boards) and it worked fine, but I checked the code before I loaded it to make sure there was nothing "stupid" in it. I'm no expert though. Still learning....

Mastercam has people that can edit your post processor to output to match your controller. I use CamWorks and they had to write a post processor to work with WINCNC. They will need the manual for your controller since it will have all the coding they need to know to make it work. Some control software does not have all the options that one can has with a machine using Fanuc or other industrial controllers. WinCNC accepts .nc or .tap files, but as mentioned they are just text files that can be edited if you so choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Leonard View Post
    I use VCarve to create 99% of my gcode files. .... So, after I finish the design, Vcarve converts the model into gcode and saves the file as an ASCII .txt file. Any editor can open the file and edit/modify since it is just text. ... So, I guess the issue is whether or not your modeling software can convert to gcode

The g-code file is a plain text file no matter the file extension (.g-code, .tap, .nc, .gee, .g-code, .ncl, .txt., etc). You can edit them as text even if they are not named as something.txt. The only thing saved in a g-code file are the toolpath(s) created.

Your model is not saved in or as a g-code file. You need to make sure you also save your model (2D/3D geometry) in whatever form your design software saves it in. No model geometry exists in the gcode and you can not recreate the model from it. It sounds as if you are a little unclear.

The purpose of a CAM program (in VCarve or Fusion 360 it is integrated, mastercam is a stand alone CAM program, there are many others) is to allow creation of toolpaths, which carve out your model, from a piece of stock (defined by you), using bits chosen by you. These toolpaths are what get saved as g-code, and only these toolpaths.

The machine controller just follows the X, Y, Z movement instructions contained in the g-code file. It does not know the stock size, it does not know what the final product looks like, or what bit you are using (if it’s in the g-code file, it is just as a comment, which is for you, and is ignored by the controller).
    Last edited by Richard Gonzalez; 03-09-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Simon View Post
    Mastercam outputs G-code to a *.nci ASCII file separate of the *.cam file.
    So I should be able to use Mastercam to design and program for a cnc router. I'm not positive but I think I remember seeing a router option in Mastercam X5. I have the latest version, have to check it. Thanks for the replies.