Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 20" bandsaw tires ?

Delta 20" bandsaw tires ?

Howdy folks,

I picked up a 28-654 yesterday and it's in need of tires. I talked to Carter and they have some spacers that will fill the groove in this style wheel. the question becomes do I get rubber or urethane. The rubber tires can be crowned and the urethane can't but I know of 2 different 20" deltas that run with uncrowned tires, but i personally never have done it. Any thoughts?

thanks

Bandsaw Tire Warehouse sells Blue Max urethane tires for this saw on E-Bay. They have a crown molded into the tires, plus a ridge on the inside that fits into the slot on the tires. That's likely the easiest solution, though I don't know how the price compares to the Carters. I bought their tires for my 14" Delta and have been happy with them. Bandsaw blades track best on crowned tires, though that's apparently somewhat less of a concern with wider blades. I personally wouldn't want my bandsaw to have uncrowned tires.

--Geoff

I replaced a tire on my 20" Delta at the school about 8 years ago and when I retired last June it was still OK. I was on a limited budget and went the inexpensive route via Carter. Seemed to work as good as the original one that was on there. That saw didn't get a lot of work as I was only there one day a week.

If you can afford it I would get the better tire, but wouldn't lose sleep if I went the inexpensive route.

My 2 cents.............Good Luck!

The Carter's in rubber with the inserts are less than 90.00 shipped. The urethane can be had for about 225. I doubt I'll ever have less than a .75" blade on as I'll always have my 28-200 around. I'm guessing I'll run a 1" blade mostly to rip.

I went with the urethane on my Delta. Overall quick and easy replacement, no worries about crowning or gluing or other fussy stuff, just pop them on and get back to sawing

good luck,
    JeffD

Sulphur Grove Tools in Florida sells crowned urethane tires with the inside rib for the Delta wheel groove.I have a Delta 28-350 with these and like them much better than the overpriced OEM tires.I believe they were around $250 a set.

Would dressing the tires be possible?
    My lower tire was really bad, as in there was some lumps missing from it, and there was someones efforts to fix this, which didn't work....
    Then there was my first efforts which didn't work either at first, but I've taken the tire down further still, and I seem to be OK now.
    I wont know for 100% till I try another blade.
    I have had good results rigging up a jig with the side of a lapped plane iron, some clamps and a few bits of wood.
    If doing so, make sure to get a sheet of ply for the base of the machine as you can chip off the paint if/when you drop tools.
    You may choose to use a better f-clamp than shown, and have some cloth around it, again for the paint job.
    You want to be able to rotate the block with the clamped plane iron, so its leaning away from the tire like a scraper plane.
    this is how you advance the cut, not by loosening everything, and resetting all.
    Why you may ask?
    That's because, its not good practice to just wedge the "scraper" into the cut, that would cut a big slice into the tire, instead it must be gradually done.
    The wheels are turned by hand by the way

Good idea to take the wheels off first, or after round 1, as its not easy to sight a flat tire when the wheel is in the machine
    You could lay an edge against the wheel and place a square against that, but my place was a bit of a tip at the time.
    I think I tried this but for some reason it didn't work at the time, it may have been some optical illusion happening.

Good luck
    Tomas
    SAM_1151.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 03-09-2018 at 9:36 AM.

Woodworkers tool works in WI will habe the correct style tire for that saw. Urethane tires suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Woodworkers tool works in WI will habe the correct style tire for that saw. Urethane tires suck.
    Thanks Darcy. I just put a set of Carters on mine and the tires are so much thinner that I can't tighten up the blades before the castings touch. Its been sitting for a while but I need to get it running. Thought about ordering shorter blades, but nah..........

Why is that

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Why is that
    Because they eventually fall off, walk on the wheel, move around, etc. A glued, epoxied or vulcanized rubber tire will last 20+years.

I can't speak about the thin flat urethane tires,but, the urethane tires I have on my 20" delta are crowned and the same thickness and rib as the OEM tires and I have had zero problems with them.

Because they eventually fall off, walk on the wheel, move around, etc. A glued, epoxied or vulcanized rubber tire will last 20+years.
    Ahhhh, OK. So that's probably why the Delta designed a tongue in their tires. My original tires lasted close to 15 years with no issues, then one wore out so I replaced them both several years ago. No falling off, walking or moving.....also no gluing, truing, or crowning. Actually all in all I'm pretty happy with them and relieved I didn't have to mess around with all the extra steps to replace. So much so even if they only last 10 years it would still be worth it to me to keep the Urethane

good luck,
    JeffD

14. Which Urethane Tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Ahhhh, OK. So that's probably why the Delta designed a tongue in their tires. My original tires lasted close to 15 years with no issues, then one wore out so I replaced them both several years ago. No falling off, walking or moving.....also no gluing, truing, or crowning. Actually all in all I'm pretty happy with them and relieved I didn't have to mess around with all the extra steps to replace. So much so even if they only last 10 years it would still be worth it to me to keep the Urethane

good luck,
    JeffD

I also have a Delta 28-654 that is in need of tires. There are 2 version of urethane tires that I find listed on e-bay, blue ones and orange ones. Which ones have you guys tried and how did you like them? I have not owned a 20" Band Saw before and I would like to make sure I purchase the best possible option for the saw. Thank you

I must edit my post as I've devised a better way of dressing the tires.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?294265-Dressing-bandsaw-tires-a-sure-method-of-truing-the-wheels-an-edge-question-for-ye

tire dressing jig .jpg

Still not finished my thread, as the edges need some attention, but mines an extreme case as I attempted crowning and went too far getting down past the damage,
    and might not pose an issue for someone needing a wee dressing.

I have to try and fix the edge with some flexible glue, PL construction adhesive is what Jack Forsberg used, and I am going to attempt this on my wheels, not sure if I've got the right stuff though, but seems like original gorilla glue is something similar.
    Meant to get into the shed to do an update, might see if I can get a post up later.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 10-24-2021 at 4:48 PM.