Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store you bandsaw blades?

How do you store you bandsaw blades?

How does everyone store their bandsaw blades. I now have 4 blades and was looking for some good storage ideas.

I am unable to coil mine, just get the knack, so I hang them between a wall cabinet and the adjoining wall.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

coil and hang from ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    How does everyone store their bandsaw blades. I now have 4 blades and was looking for some good storage ideas.
    I coil them once into 3 loops and hang them from storage hooks screwed into the shop ceiling (like the one on the lower left here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...7954/202249701)

I wrap a wire tie or a bit of soft iron or copper wire around the coil at to keep it from unraveling accidentally. I can fit at least five blades on one hook.

For trouble coiling there are instructions and videos on the web. Note that some people make it seem harder than it is. If I could get someone to take the photos I could show how in two photos and two sentences. (I think)

Coiling once (3 loops) is pretty easy once you know how. Wear safety glasses and maybe gloves for larger blades. Coiling twice (5 loops) is harder, although it is exactly the same procedure, just starting with a 3-loop coil instead of an uncoiled blade. I coiled one blade three times for 7 loops just to see if I could but it was awkward.

Coiling the huge blades from my woodmizer sawmill can be downright dangerous. (UNCOILING one carelessly could cause serious injury to arms and face if it got out of control. I usually stand outside in the grass and throw the blade away from me to let is spring open.)

Just for fun, here is the start and result of coiling twice for 5 loops:

band_coil_01_IMG_20170807_143948_951.jpg band_coil5_IMG_20170807_143824_792.jpg

This is the one with 7 loops - I wouldn't want to do that all day long!

band_coil7_IMG_20170807_153046_018.jpg

JKJ

I do a 3-coil and hang them on a long peg on the wall. I use a twist tie to keep them together. It's easy to 3-coil small (narrow) blades. I find it tougher to coil wide blades but I'm able to do it.

Someone on this forum gave a pointer to a video that did a good job of showing how to do a 3-coil.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-09-2018 at 1:47 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I coil them too and hang them on a hook. But I put a small bulldog clip on each one somewhere to hold them together when I pick them up. If you grab them by just one loop they have a nasty habit of uncoiling and attacking you (DAMHIKT).
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Right now, they are coiled and hanging on long screws up high on the wall...I may do something different as my shop renovations continue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I generally coil mine in 3 loops and secure them with plastic Purse lock wire ties. They hang on a long peg board hook. I do not coil my resaw blade which is about 5/8" wide.
    039.jpg

The easiest way I've found to coil a band saw blade is to hold it with one hand with the palm facing away from your body so the bottom or the large loop touches the floor. Step lightly on the blade and twist your hand so the palm is facing you as you push down on the blade so your hand almost gets to the floor. The blade will neatly form 3 loops.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Coil it three time and make sure to wire it closed. Do not try to open it by hand. throw it on the ground outside to open.
    One of the big old growth redwood mills flooded in the 60's. One or more of their huge bandsaw blades fell into the basement and got all tangled up. Their solution was to pour concrete and bury it.
    Bill D
    I buy the set of three HF welding gloves and use them for winding blades, trimming citrus and roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I generally coil mine in 3 loops and secure them with plastic Purse lock wire ties. They hang on a long peg board hook. I do not coil my resaw blade which is about 5/8" wide.
    039.jpg

The easiest way I've found to coil a band saw blade is to hold it with one hand with the palm facing away from your body so the bottom or the large loop touches the floor. Step lightly on the blade and twist your hand so the palm is facing you as you push down on the blade so your hand almost gets to the floor. The blade will neatly form 3 loops.
    +1... If your unfamiliar with this I recommend you wear a pair of thick leather gloves the first couple times you do it.

I coil mine in 3 loops, put a twist ty on it and put it on a shelf.

I uncoil the blades by hand, it takes practice however one summer I worked in a commercial bakery, the bread slicers ran 10 blades, looped twice to cut in 20 locations.

Blades were changed at least every shift, with 4 slicers X 10 blades I got pretty good at it. We had an area where you coiled/uncoiled the blades, it had a plastic floor so you didn't damage the blade. The blades looked more like a wavy razor than a saw blade.........Rod.

I coil mine in three loops, hang on a long wooden dowel attached to the wall in a safe location

I secure them 2 cable ties for safety

You could use different colored cable ties to identify the blades

+1 for the technique. Although I use small velcro pieces (two per blade) that are meant for holding together cords to hold mine coiled up.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-11-2018 at 8:33 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Mine are also coiled and hung from hooks on the ceiling near my band saw. I use a short piece of solid wire twisted around them like a coil spring to secure them. I can unwrap this piece of wire easily when I want to use the blade and then wrap it around the coiled blade just removed from the saw. I coat the lesser used blades with WD40 to keep them from rusting.

Charley

I have some wine bottle corks that are nailed to the wall in the shop.
    I coil the blades back up and put them on the wine corks to protect the teeth.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I coil them and hang them from the lumber rack poles which happen to be next to the bandsaw. I just use plain twist-tie to hold them together.