Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JR, need your input

Single end and double end tenoners are like dinosaurs in todays shops. I have known several shops to buy them so cheap for a single job and then scrap them because they cant dump them to someone.

The machine posted is running door parts. Not flooring. I dont get it?

I dont understand the drive to resurrect antiquated machinery other than for fun, nostalgia, or because its in such phenomenal shape that its a rare bird and still viable.

Most single end tenoners I see make me think of someone with a railroad cap running them walking around with a pump oiler flipping up oiler ports to squirt a few drops of oil in.

They surely make money. But gosh. The video smokes any single or double end tenoner ive looked at.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 03-09-2018 at 3:22 PM.

In some shops they are not needed ,but I've worked in commercial shops that made entry doors fairly often making tenons on a table saw. That left some other project waiting for a table saw. If every shop wanted one they would not be cheap!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    DET, they are everywhere, usually cheap and great space hogs.
    Unless you were making identical doors how is a DET faster than a SET or shaper for that matter?

Setup times for every different length part would be huge.

The table arms are adjusted by motor and by hand. Machine table is continuous belt

Hmmmm, if a DET is a dinosaur, why the heck are multiple companies still making them? They can pound out parts fast.

Single end tenoners are great window and door making machines. I much prefer using one vs. a sliding table shaper for tenon work.

The Randomat in the video according to the website is made for coping cabinet door parts and end matching flooring with the ability of quick change profiles. I could not determine if it cuts the parts to length of if you have to pre cut to length.

Huge difference between old school single and double tenoners and modern tenoners. In modern day tenoners there are many different types depending on the work to be preformed. Some just end cut and tenon or cope, others are track fed and can cope , profile edges,run panels and square cabinet doors. Most of the newer ones have some type of quick setting and fast change over tooling and the old ones made to run a lot of production with the tooling change time consuming.

Pretty sure it's not sizing

I agree with Joe 's descriptions of the the machines in general. But I disagree with the results I've seen from quick change machines. It can have bad consequences. Sales people all yelling "my job first". Too many guys using the machine and all pointing fingers at someone else for jumbled tooling etc. ,add in cell phones and you've got big problems. The old operators had no such problems and refused to comply with stupid "right now" orders, and would over rule the
    management for the good of the company. Quick change is the main reason moulders are torn to pieces and have to be replaced so often, and sometimes the company owner doesn't know the machine has been trashed until the operator has quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I agree with Joe 's descriptions of the the machines in general. But I disagree with the results I've seen from quick change machines. It can have bad consequences. Sales people all yelling "my job first". Too many guys using the machine and all pointing fingers at someone else for jumbled tooling etc. ,add in cell phones and you've got big problems. The old operators had no such problems and refused to comply with stupid "right now" orders, and would over rule the
    management for the good of the company. Quick change is the main reason moulders are torn to pieces and have to be replaced so often, and sometimes the company owner doesn't know the machine has been trashed until the operator has quit.
    HSK spindles make that pretty idiot proof. Release the spindle, drop in the next one, but the button to seat it, then power up.

REALLY expensive option on the PMK machine. Basically doubles the cost of the machine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Pretty sure it's not sizing
    i agree, looks like just coping. I guess the argument could be made that it would be more efficient to cut to size first using tigerstop type technology vs rough cutting to size then final sizing on the machine.

I am friends with the owner of a local cabinet door manufacturing company. For years they used a SCM double end machine for large volume orders and a SCM single end Center machine for the bulk of their work. The Center was a interesting piece of technology with the track feed and stacked spindles. Lately they put in a CNC router to size and profile assembled cabinet door edges. They have a wide assortment of machines including some Unique machines. They still use a few shapers as well.

I'm sure there's defecting saws that could be set up in tandem with something like this. Drop in chalked out full sticks, out comes chopped and coped rails.

Yeah, Dimter Opticut, belt fed to the next station.
    Just set one up a couple weeks ago.

Single end, or double end, the process and setups are similar. They definitely are not a quick setup or changeover machine, but they can and do maintain tolerance, and are more for stock standard profile type stuff.
    Shaker style square door setups, and you would only need the tenons, not copes or trim.

Undoubtedly, some of the newer machines are quicker setup, and maybe faster at part processing, but they cost a large fortune.
    If you think your margins are tight now, competing with the big companies is only going to squeeze that more.

Everybody has their ideal business they want to run, mine has just never been to be a strictly parts processor,but you get stuck in the high overhead new machine game.
    I prefer for myself the challenge of doing what others can't , won't or don't want to do. Much better margins, no scurrying around like a rat in a factory, and I supplement with a few key time and money saving pieces of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    no scurrying around like a rat in a factory
    That one is going on my list of stolen quotes. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    That one is going on my list of stolen quotes. Priceless.
    It kinda hurt my tender little feelings. Mostly because no matter how much efficiency or speed comes into play, that doesn't mean I don't move my ass like let's on fire. Waiting on equipment to do it's thing is rest time. There's money to be made