Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JR, need your input

JR, need your input

What's your take on this thing?

One popped up for sale semi locally for $40k

One downside I see, that thing takes up an acre of floorspace.

Are you getting into the flooring business Martin? That is a flooring endmatcher, though it could probably do other things- let me guess, door rail coping?
    I have seen them from 25k on up. I wanted one a while back, but did nothing about it. If your going for flooring endmatching, the throughfeed machine is the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Are you getting into the flooring business Martin? That is a flooring endmatcher, though it could probably do other things- let me guess, door rail coping?
    I have seen them from 25k on up. I wanted one a while back, but did nothing about it. If your going for flooring endmatching, the throughfeed machine is the best option.
    Door rail coping. Though when the moulder gets up and running I could do flooring, though I don't really think I could get lumber cheap enough.

It's probably way more than I can justify. Space and operating cost are probably too high. Different story if I started making doors for other shops again, but I haven't taken on any of that work in a long time and it'd take a while to ramp that up.

I don't know the specs on that machine, but typically flooring, even chopped up box store type short parts are quite a bit longer than most door rails. Have you checked minimum length specs?
    I do believe that is quite overkill for your intended use, but maybe big industry is using these, or something like them.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I don't know the specs on that machine, but typically flooring, even chopped up box store type short parts are quite a bit longer than most door rails. Have you checked minimum length specs?
    I do believe that is quite overkill for your intended use, but maybe big industry is using these, or something like them.
    The video shows some pretty typically sized rails going through.

The manufacturer's website is pretty useless.

There was a unique door machine on Craigslist not too long ago for 8k. For just making doors, it’s a lot cheaper and only takes 1 unskilled worked to knock out all your door parts.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    There was a unique door machine on Craigslist not too long ago for 8k. For just making doors, it’s a lot cheaper and only takes 1 unskilled worked to knock out all your door parts.

I'm not a big fan of the Unique setup. I looked at those originally, but you're limited by what you can fit between the spindles. Most of the time, it's not an issue, but if you have 50" between spindles, and a 108" rail for a big paneled end, you're back to setting up a shaper if one isn't already.

I think the PMK is likely the best option for me, but the moving carriage is kinda dumb. The work piece shouldn't move, the heads should move like the one in the video. For the same reasons I'm not a fan of the unique, it's a bear to keep a big chunk of wood to move smoothly through the machine. There's plenty of big honking linear bearings that you could use that would be way over engineered for the couple hundred pounds of motor and spindle you'd have hanging off of them.

I am always the last to know....BUT...who the heck is JR?
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    I am always the last to know....BUT...who the heck is JR?

J.R. Rutter. He runs a door shop in Washington state. He's my go to guru for door questions and wacky door building ideas.

Got it!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

DET, they are everywhere, usually cheap and great space hogs.

DET?

Extra characters

Double end tenoner. Cabinet sized would be millbury, or powermatic. Full size- american, oliver, greenlee, crescent, wadkin, newman, etc....

Those are single ends though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Those are single ends though.

Then single end tenoner, they are around and not expensive. I've used a number of them ,the Greenlee was a fine machine ,and newer than some others. The one double end Ive seen was a huge machine on the second floor ,they had to get an engineer to beef up the floor .And the building was built as a factory.