Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Than Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

Better Than Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

I own and have used a Kreg pocket hole jig and associated accessories to build face frames for some time.

Recently I ran across the UJK branded pocket hole system sold to the European market. I was immediately struck by the all-metal construction in stark contrast to the Kreg system. It's a shame that Kreg relies so heavily on plastic parts. This is what Kreg should be offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpUmMyIFsBE

What surprised me is that the cost of the UJK all-metal jig is comparable to the cost of the Kreg jig. I found a UK online source where this can be purchased. I don't do enough pocket holes that I would replace my current Kreg system, but it is very tempting.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/accessor...nery-dowelling

For this application what’s the benefit of metal over plastic?

Nice looking jig. Price is reasonable given Kreg prices. Price will be higher with shipping and import fees. I don't necessarily like Kregs use of plastic but I'm not sure the use of metal would make a difference in the outcome of a pocket hole.

UJK is an Axminster Tools store brand. I saw the jig when I was in an Axminster store, but would never justify the expense over the comparable Kreg K4 kit.

Using the UK Amazon as a reference, the UJK jig sells for £99.96 (about $138.02) and the Kreg K4 kit sells for £71.23 (about $98.35). With the UJK jig, the driver bit and dust extractor port must be purchased separately. With the Kreg K4 kit, everything is included. To make a closer comparison, the UJK jig kit comparable to the Kreg K4 will cost £121.88 (about $168.31).

The Harbor Freight pocket hole jig is all metal. It's well reviewed.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    The original Kreg K-1 jigs were Aluminum with hardened steel drill bushings.
    K1-K2.JPG
    I have the aluminum one and use it primarily, but I also have a plastic one that claps with a vise grip style pliers and is adjustable for use on thicker wood. Both seem to work equally well. I imagine that price drove them to the plastic versions. The face of the aluminum ones were machined flat.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have used the check out of my Kreg jig. I do not see anything wrong with the materials used.

I have had the same experience as Larry. The thing looks and feels kind of cheap but it just does the job over and over again.

image_14738.jpghttps://www.harborfreight.com/portable-pocket-hole-jig-kit-96264.html

I have a metal pocket hole jig I purchased from Penn State Ind many years ago. It may be made of metal but the bottom flexes when you apply clamp pressure.
    Has anyone had a problem with the plastic on a Kreg ?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    For this application what’s the benefit of metal over plastic?
    Agreed. Besides some feel good magic, there is no quantifiable advantage to a metal jig.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but seeing that the UJK jig has metric measurements made me wonder if folks in outside the U.S. get frustrated that the Kreg jig only provides measurements in inches? Or does Kreg make a metric version of their jigs?

Blog Entries
    I've been using plastic jigs for over a decade and have never had any issue with any of the plastic parts. Just sayin' . If you can damage that glass reinforced nylon, you can damage metal.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good points about the Kreg jig being "good enough". The only issue I've had with mine deals with the clamp not holding securely enough and that would be true with the metal versions as well.

I did not know that Harbor Freight sold an all-metal version.

My K-2 is all metal.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Funny that we still hold these anti-plastic prejudices from the 60s and 70s when many plastics were not very good. Yet others were, and over time, have become superior to metals for many applications.

I'll take FRP over aluminum for most uses.