Thread: Spray finishing table question

Spray finishing table question

I just finished sanding some bedside tables and am going to spray finish them with a Hf purple gun and Endurovar. I’m going to finish the drawer with shellac (all but the drawer front). Question is, what do I do about the inside of the table? Meaning not the drawer, but the inside of the aprons? Shellac? Endurovar? Does it matter? My gut tells me shellac so it cures quickly and without odor.

Also, what order should I do the finish; shellac first? Shellac the drawer, bag it after curing sans front, then finish front?

Here’s a picture I took a couple weeks ago before I finished sanding and fitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your idea to "bag" the drawer after the shellac dries is worthy. No need to finish the "inside" of the piece, IMHO, but if you do, the shellac would be my go-to or a water borne.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I almost never finish what I can't see, but I'd use Sealcoat shellac for the hidden areas of your table if you feel compelled to do so. For one drawer, bagging it is good. For a lot of drawers I make a cutout in some scrap with a foam gasket around the opening and drop the drawers into that for spraying the fronts. In either case, shellac the entire drawer, then do the front.

John

If you are using Endurovar, use it for the whole job. Its waterborne so it shouldn't make your drawers smelly. You also don't have to worry about incompatibility of coatings, masking or anything. Contrary to Jim and John, I always finish every surface inside and out. Inside gets less but must be smooth. If a rag catches on furry bits, it's not done. Mostly it's not noticed but on the rare occasions it is, it is always commented on. Cheers