Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NorEaster: how’d you make out?

NorEaster: how’d you make out?

Lots of sagging tree branches near me in Central NJ. Lost power for about half the day.

March: in like a lion!

Forecasted 12-16” here but I’m thinking we only got 8” or so. Tough to tell with the drifts. I plowed last night around 7 pm, it was heavy stuff. I use a farm tractor without a cab, wow did that wind driven snow sting, No wind today so cleanup won’t be nearly as bad. I was worried last night 16” of heavy snow would be awfully hard to push if I didn’t hit it twice.

We had a few power flickers but that’s it for this storm.

It sure wasn’t as bad here as they said it would be. Towns only 15-20 miles away got 2 feet, ouch!

A lot of downed trees and power lines here in Cherry Hill. Tree feel across my driveway and used the recip saw to break it down to more manageable pieces so i could get to work.

Could be worse, right?

Nothing here an hour north of Harrisburg. Some afternoon snowflakes that didn't have any impact.

12" of heavy wet snow yesterday and utility power was out again for about 10-12 hours after slightly more than three days out over the weekend. ("Matilda" the generator did her job nicely here) Yesterday's storm was less damaging here because there wasn't the wind, but the heavy snow clearly caused additional issues with trees which in turn caused problems with infrastructure. The wind on the weekend was the culprit and took out many trees that were already "primed" to fall due to weakness/age/disease/bugs, such as all these ash trees on my property:

IMG_0320.jpg

The heavy snow preyed on the otherwise healthy trees with shear weight!

Of course, we run a "Mickey Mouse" snow removal outfit here, including cloning to get things done faster...(and I'm glad we really don't have a twin of this one!)

IMG_0362-Pano.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-08-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Heavy wet snow. Not a lot of accumulation though. Lost a limb out of a big maple in the front yard, it looks like is may have pulled a section of gutter off the front porch.
    Listened to trees creaking and snapping for most of last night, but we didn't lose power, so all is well.

I spent some big $$$$ on a new generator this past fall and if I never have to use it, I'll still have gotten my money's worth.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Missed us entirely in (mid) western NY. A little snow, maybe half an inch at most, so we were very lucky on this last one.

Eastern WVa, not much to report, some wind, some cold and light quickly passing sleet.

Over 3' of new snow between the two storms in the Catskills.

Blog Entries
    All the way down here, seas hit 18’ offshore and we had over 20’ breakers. A kayaker is missing as of yesterday. It wasn’t just the wave height- it was the 16 second intervals. It was a bit sloppy but people were surfing locations where there hasn’t been any surf in years, ie beaches that don’t normally make enough wave energy to surf.

They forcast 8-14" here in NH we got 16". The stuff was on the heavy side. The real problem was that once the tires went over the snow it packed down and was very slippery. I had to be careful to not get the truck stuck. Ended up using the tractor in some places.

18" here in Chester NH. The first 6" or so were heavy and wet, the rest was a lot drier after the temperature dropped. The roads have been clear since about noon.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Up near Lake Erie we had about 12" of heavy snow yesterday and another 5-6 inches this morning. At the moment it is snowing again and we have an inch or two so far. No power problems here. We have long lines of birds waiting for space at our feeders.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I just came in from clearing the yard and driveway.12" or so, and one of the worst snows to do with my single stage snowthrower, on the garden tractor.
    Was gonna use the simplicity walk behind but the mice ate thru the spark plug wire!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Up near Lake Erie we had about 12" of heavy snow yesterday and another 5-6 inches this morning. At the moment it is snowing again and we have an inch or two so far. No power problems here. We have long lines of birds waiting for space at our feeders.
    So just an ordinary winter day then, huh Lee?