Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying older Leigh 24" dovetail jig

Advice on buying older Leigh 24" dovetail jig

I've got a line on an older Leigh TD-514-L dovetail jig. I've never owned a dovetail jig. I have downloaded what info Leigh has on this jig (instructions & parts list). I'm going to see it tomorrow. I'll take the parts diag and list with me in an effort to see if it's missing any major parts. The older gentlemen selling it said he's selling it for an old friend (his comment "old like me"). He doesn't know much of anything about it. Said he does have a bag of some parts.

I've included two pics (only one of which is of much help). It doesn't appear to have been used hard or abused from the photo. I can already see from comparing parts diag & list to the pic there are only 26 fingers, there should be 28 (14 left & 14 right) but these are fairly cheap to replace if needed. I also called Leigh and they have parts even for this older jig.

Anything I should be sure to check or be wary of? Just out of my element here and want to make a good decision rather than buying because I've been wanting one of these for years but have felt they were too expensive for the amount of use it'll probably get. Thanks for any advice or knowledge you guys can provide!

Mike

Leigh jig 1.jpgLeigh jig 2.jpg

I sold that same jig a couple of years ago. Aside from almost never needing the 24" capacity, I detested the knobs use to hold the workpieces in place. They have been replaced by cam type levers in later models and are available as an upgrade for older models. The difference is substantial. I'd price the cost of new new hold downs into my buying decision. Otherwise it's a great jig.

I had one and used It for years. You need to have the right size dovetail bit, the straight bit is just a standard 1/2”. And the bushing I had for that bit needed to be cut off to clear the bit. I still have some of the fingers for it if you get the jig and want them. PM me if so.

The jig is limited to a larger dovetail with the bits I had. I don’t remember smaller bits and smaller dovetails being an option.

I gifted mine to a fellow woodworker when I upgraded to a PC Omnijig that emulates the higher end Leigh jigs.

Clint

I have that jig.....bought it over 20 yrs ago used. I replaced the knobs with the cam locks. It works well. I would say that if you can get it for a good price (I think I paid $100 with several bits), go for it.

This "looks" like the Leigh I used to own (I don't recall the model) before I bought a Keller, and have since upgraded to a Leigh D4R Pro. If this is the one I used to own, it has shims and I didn't care for the shims. But once setup, I recall that it cuts nice joints.

If it's in otherwise good condition, as has already been mentioned, I believe you can update/upgrade certain components on that version to be at or close to the current version. Leigh is pretty good about that kind of thing. It's a quality tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have an old Leigh jig. I don't use it anymore, but then I'm not doing dovetails these days. It is a solid tool.
    I will keep it though. You can never tell when I might get into a dovetail making period.

So what is a fair price?

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I have that jig.....bought it over 20 yrs ago used. I replaced the knobs with the cam locks. It works well. I would say that if you can get it for a good price (I think I paid $100 with several bits), go for it.
    Bob,
    Asking price is $55. I'm thinking that's a fair price. Before I go, I will see what the cam-lever cost from Leigh will be though as suggested by Ken.
    Mike

PS (edit): Just got off the phone with Leigh. The cam action speed clamps do NOT work with this jig. They do work with the D series which was after the TD. She is going to have someone from tech support call me to see if there might be some work around.
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 03-08-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Bob,
    Asking price is $55. I'm thinking that's a fair price. Before I go, I will see what the cam-lever cost from Leigh will be though as suggested by Ken.
    Mike
    And why isn't it in your shop already? Geepers...that's grand theft at that price!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I had one and used It for years. You need to have the right size dovetail bit, the straight bit is just a standard 1/2”. And the bushing I had for that bit needed to be cut off to clear the bit. I still have some of the fingers for it if you get the jig and want them. PM me if so.
    Clint
    Thank you Clint. I will do that.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And why isn't it in your shop already? Geepers...that's grand theft at that price!
    This afternoon is the earliest he was available to meet. It's a 40 mile drive one way but at least it's in the beautiful Texas hill country.

That drive will be worth it and the scenery is a bonus! Even if you need to replace some parts to bring it current, you'll have a high-end joinery jig at a fraction of the cost of new. These things don't just do dovetails...accessories increase the types of decorative joinery you can do.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    This "looks" like the Leigh I used to own (I don't recall the model) before I bought a Keller, and have since upgraded to a Leigh D4R Pro. If this is the one I used to own, it has shims and I didn't care for the shims. But once setup, I recall that it cuts nice joints.
    Jeff,
    They talk about shims in the instruction manual. I was hoping those were just in the rare case. Now I see there are 20 shims showing on the parts list.
    Mike

PS I really need to learn how to use the multi-quote capabilities. :-/

I updated my comment above but for those who are following may not read previous comments so...

Leigh says the cam action speed clamps don't work with this jig. Tech support is going to call me to see if there's a workaround. So far I'm impressed with their customer support.