Often on my trips into town it is fun to stop at one or more of the 'used hard goods stores.' Today my path took me past one that usually entices me to stop in on the days they are open. For my last few times stopping there has been a pile of old saws. My expectation was the one Disston calling to me the most, tagged at $10, would be gone by now. There is usually a pretty good turn over of stock there on many of the items. Today the saw was still there so it seemed that was a sign for me to engage in a little haggling. On the way to pay there was a #18 knuckle cap block plane at $15.

Before making any offers my examination of the plane found a crack in the side. It was pointed out to Susan, the proprietor, and returned to the shelf. She commented to her mom (?) about how Mike her husband has learned a lot about various tools from me. She came down to $8 even on the saw.

Saw 3-7-18.jpg

The handle is cracked and has a screw holding it together. It could use a sharpening. My main reason for purchasing was the handle's carving appealed to me. It looks reparable or a new handle can be made.

jtk