Thread: Seen a Saw, Brought it Home

Blog Entries

Seen a Saw, Brought it Home

Often on my trips into town it is fun to stop at one or more of the 'used hard goods stores.' Today my path took me past one that usually entices me to stop in on the days they are open. For my last few times stopping there has been a pile of old saws. My expectation was the one Disston calling to me the most, tagged at $10, would be gone by now. There is usually a pretty good turn over of stock there on many of the items. Today the saw was still there so it seemed that was a sign for me to engage in a little haggling. On the way to pay there was a #18 knuckle cap block plane at $15.

Before making any offers my examination of the plane found a crack in the side. It was pointed out to Susan, the proprietor, and returned to the shelf. She commented to her mom (?) about how Mike her husband has learned a lot about various tools from me. She came down to $8 even on the saw.

Saw 3-7-18.jpg

The handle is cracked and has a screw holding it together. It could use a sharpening. My main reason for purchasing was the handle's carving appealed to me. It looks reparable or a new handle can be made.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Jim,
    How many old Disston saws do you have?

I went to the shop and counted, I have 13. I need to find another one since 13 is unlucky.

Blog Entries
    They haven't been counted of late. There are likely at least a dozen or so.

Maybe making a saw till would make it easier to keep track of them all.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nah..the til will just fill up too quick...no matter how big it is....DAMHIKT

Never - never - count your old tools. Nothing good can come of it.

Nice find on the saw, probably a high grade model; and good that you found the crack before buying the plane.

Yeah, I like the carving on that handle, too. I'd squeeze some Titebond in that crack and clamp her up. I have a saw that was cracked just like that; did the same. It's holding just fine, and you have to look hard to find it.
    Nice score, Jim!

Disston No. 12 ?

Blog Entries
    I have a 12.

For those of you that do not know a D12 is considered to be the best hand saw. I also have a D7 and a D8.

http://disstonianinstitute.com/12page.html

Steven,

The handle sure looks like a Disston 12. The medallion is clearly not Disston, but the medallion looks like it is one that was added to the handle. The area around the medallion looks tapered out like it originally held a medallion that is like the later Disstons. The inset medallions that I have seen usually are inset, but the wood fits tight up against the medallion, and the wood is flat around the medallion, not tapered like a gently rounded chamfer.

In short, I believe that at least the handle is a Disston 12. It looks like the horns were chipped or something similar, and then smoothed off by a previous owner.

I believe that the saw is almost certainly a Disston 12.

Wow Jim. Ya Did Good!

Wish I could get a Disston 12 for $8!

Stew

I have it's skew back relative....the D-112....
    tool kit.jpg
    That cost me $8....1928 was the only year the D model of the 112 was made.....the No. 112 was the skew back version of the No. 12...
    So far, it had been a very good user, as a crosscut saw...

Hey Steven,

Ya Done Good Too!

What's wrong with me at I can't get a Disston 12 or 112 for $8.

Stew

Location, location, location....

I like the acme 120's for hardwoods jerry