Thread: Epilog Legend 24EX issues

Epilog Legend 24EX issues

Finally got the recharged tube and repaired RF unit back for this older Epilog Legend 24EX I'm bringing back to life. Everything is re-assembled and I'm ready to test it BUT, now something strange is going on with the Y axis.

When I restarted the machine for the first time (it had been about 4 months) the carriage slammed into the back of the machine. I tried going to "Service" mode to move the X and Y axis to test and again it started pushing towards the back of the machine. I've cleaned and checked my connections and now it just "stutters" when it tries to move the carriage on startup.

Is this usually a connection, sensor, motor, or something totally different?

I'm going to give Epilog a ring tomorrow, but I have a sneaking suspicion this machine just stopped being supported since it's no longer listed in the online knowledge base. So any help would be appreciated.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Hi Keith .... although I don't have an Epilog .... I experienced a similar situation when one of my Stepper Motor Wires Broke

Brian
    Ray Fine 6040 80W RF Tube
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Thanks Brian, I'm checking wires and connections tonight.

My worst fear is that it was something simple like a loose connection or a broken wire...but that it has now caused a motor to burn up.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

Remove and spin the motor by hand. I had to replace it in mine years ago when it did what yours did, and the shaft had bent and was binding. This was a known problem, and the replacement was beefed up. It was on warranty then, about 2007.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Based on my experiences--

To start--I've never seen a stepper motor do anything it wasn't "told" to do. Meaning, they don't just go for no reason. If the head moves beyond its boundaries and slams a wall, it's because that's what the stepper thought it was supposed to do. I've been thru many stepper issues over the years, 3x on my lasers, all were broken-wire/bad connection issues. When connections are iffy, the stepper will act erratic and 'crazy', usually making lots of racket, because they seem to be trying to go both ways at once. When doing this the stepper is losing position badly, and if the bad connection 'catches' and the stepper works correctly again, the gantry can hit a wall because it was too close to the wall in the first place based on where the controller thought it was...

On startup, hitting the wall could simply be a limit switch not working. These switches are always exposed to the smoke & soot, and after sitting for months the crud may have compromised the switch.

Another possible issue, hopefully not, is the controller isn't working right--

You say it just stutters on startup now-- have you moved the gantries by hand away from home position? If not, SLOWLY move the head to the middle of the table... If your Y axis is trying to start up and it's against the wall, it'll just keep trying to move towards the switch. Move the gantries and see what happens on startup, let us know...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I thought the Epilog Legends all used servos, not steppers. No? I loved the fact that my Mini (which said "Legend" on start up) could be rapidly and easily positioned by hand (using the perfectly aligned coaxial red dot). I miss that feature on my stepper controlled Chinese machines.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

My GCC has servos, I DO love them! But they come with their own headaches, in the form of encoder strips or discs. If they get cruddy, all kinds of goofy stuff can happen! My machine started misplacing steps badly one day...
    be2.jpg
    be4.jpg

After a good cleaning:
    be6.jpg
    -no problems since!

So if the machine in question has servos, could be encoder related...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Thanks for the all the help guys.

I spent most of yesterday following wires and trying to think of every possibility that could be causing the issue. Couldn't find a thing wrong. So this morning I got my camera out to take a video of the startup process to post for help...and it worked normally.

So it's a mystery, but the laser is apparently working again.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be learning a LOT about exactly how this machine works over the coming months, but fingers crossed this was just a loose wire and hopefully the problem won't come back again.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

You more than likely have a broken or marginal wire or wires to that motor or the encoder.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-11-2018 at 9:34 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    You more than likely have a broken or marginal wire or wires to that motor or the encoder.
    Thanks bill, where's the encoder located? I'm new to the servo motors.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

At least on my Mini, the encoder is a small strip of plastic running along the top of the gantry.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

If you have an encoder disc, it'll be under an end-cap right on the servo motor...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Video for Legend 36XT encoder strip here. Epilog instructions here.

Thanks John, the video was helpful and I'll clean that up tomorrow.

One random question: If I try to focus the machine on a piece of plywood smaller than half an inch thick (without the big grid table in the laser); the table/bed hits on the edge of the machine as it is coming up BEFORE the item comes into focus. Is this the intended behavior? Or is something setup or adjusted incorrectly with my bed?

Obviously I could always use the big grid table when doing thin stock, but it seems like that would be mentioned in the manual if that was absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by Keith Downing; 03-12-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

There's a bit of a flaw in how the guy cleaned the encoder strip--

as he mentioned, there a bazillion 'hash lines' along the encoder strip, just like those on the disc in my pics- the flaw is he ran a Qtip 'against the grain' of those hash lines. While this will clean the strip, those grooves can trap pieces of the Qtip cotton...

It's tedious, but you need to clean the strip 'with the grain' to get those grooves good and clean...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter