Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why Did Dewalt Make Their 735 Planer So LOUD!

Mike Henderson, thanks for the detailed explanation regarding induction and universal motors. The Dewalt 735 is a pricey portable planer and putting in an induction motor may have taken it out of the competition for portable planers. Personally, I don't know why they felt the need to add the chip ejector to the planer as it would add to the cost and, apparently, adds to the noise. I ran my old Delta with the DC and never had any issues with waste collection. But I will admit when I turn on the planer, the drum of the cyclone, while the DC is running, actually pressurizes. That chip ejector moves a lot of air.

Mike Cary, you can get the price of Felder or Hammer products online by simply creating a login. The 10" Hammer jointer/planer lists at $3599. The 12" is $4195 and the 16" is $5759. And those prices do not include their Silent Power cutter block, which takes the 10" J/P to $4379. To me, that makes adding the spiral cutter block to the Dewalt a pretty good deal. But when I watched this video, I sure wished I could afford the Hammer. The db meter test starts around 1:45.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, the chip ejector is actually a good idea for all the folks who don't use the machine with an external dust collector because you need to get the chips away from the rollers to maintain high quality on the material being processed. It's one of the things that Dewalt considered that isn't found in "budget" machines that do the same function, IMHO. Remember, there are a lot of folks who use these things on job sites. The general contractor who did our addition in 2008 had one in what is now our media room for onsite stock milling for certain aspects of the trim work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In trying to picture one on a jobsite, I can just imagine the safety inspector coming along and shutting down the operation. Matthais Wendel has a video showing how far those chips can fly. I can just see plywood walls being erected, caution signs posted about the hazard, PPE requirements when entering the "blast zone". It would be quite a sight.

But really, I hadn't considered the 735 on a jobsite. I worked mostly commercial jobs and practically all the millwork was done offsite. I rarely even saw a table saw. But I can just see a safety inspector walking into an area where the 735 was blasting chips across the room. There would more than chips flying!

You can get a fabric hood affair that attaches the the blower outlet and fits over a garbage can which takes care of the flying chips but probably requires a pretty healthy blower.

All the complaints about the 735 seem a bit off. It is a very good planer in the price range and one of the most popular. If you do not like it for the noise or the chips flying, get a different one. Most people love the chip ejector and just attach a hose to it.

I have one, and use cheap foam earplugs. It has been a real work horse for me.

Mike:
    Curious to know why you went back to the 735 from the 15" Grizzly. I have a 735, but I seem to get regular suggestions to ditch it for a Grizzly floorstanding model.

One thing that has to be considered when dealing with noisy machines is the environment. Some shops are echo chambers, others are seriously quiet. And yes, the DW735 is a screamer, it got the cops called on me once. By the time they showed up, I was already done, and it was barely past 8pm, so other than making me annoyed with the neighbor who called, it was no biggie. I was annoyed with the neighbor because they didn't bother to talk to me, they just called.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    Mike:
    Curious to know why you went back to the 735 from the 15" Grizzly. I have a 735, but I seem to get regular suggestions to ditch it for a Grizzly floorstanding model.
    The Dewalt just fit better with my style of wood working. First the floor model was cast iron and weighted a ton. I have limited space so it had to be on wheels. It did not have a single place to put and keep it, so it was not "stationary" It sat low, which is great when running a bunch of heavy boards through, but I don't do that. I just readjusted my work flow, I break down the boards before jointing and planing.

I have moved more towards hand tools. Less test cutting. Along with that move came the 735. I moved it to a higher stand and I use it for more than thickness planing. I usually set boundaries and goals for my projects. A little game I play that fosters skills and practice with aspects of my woodworking. (Its my hobby, I can afford such silliness). My most recent project, the limit I put on myself was "No Tablesaw". It required a bunch of pieces that were 1" wide. I ripped them on the bandsaw but I needed to plane off the sawmarks while keeping the sides perfectly parallel. I didn't trust my handplaning yet since its all new, so I just ran them through the planer. The 735 was perfect for that. No snipe, no roller marks, the sharp disposable knifes left a finish ready edge, and the detents makes it easy to set it back up for a repeatable result.

Anyway, that's why I switched and I'm so glad I did. Sounds like a commercial. For the record, the planer and a ROS is all I have with Dewalt on it, oh yeah a compressor too. There are many applications for a floor planer that makes it a better choice. But as a hobbiest, its just not necessary for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    All the complaints about the 735 seem a bit off. It is a very good planer in the price range and one of the most popular. If you do not like it for the noise or the chips flying, get a different one. Most people love the chip ejector and just attach a hose to it.

Larry, my personal experience is the 735 delivers similar results to the old Delta it replaced. Since I purchased the 735 I've run a couple hundred feet or more through it. Woods ranged from utile to maple to 30 year old hard pine. So far I've seen nothing that wows me over what I got with the Delta. I had the Delta set up with tables on both ends that completely eliminated snipe. Using the extension wings that came the 735, I have not been able to duplicate that. So for me, I can't say the Dewalt 735 is superior to the Delta I had, except in that it has two feed speeds. I do notice very good results on the slow speed but have not been able to eliminate snipe using the wings.

That said, it's why I spoke about the 735 being much louder. It was the only noticeable difference I saw compared to my old Delta.

If you really like the Old Delta I would find another. But I do not know if another small planer with a chip ejector. If the noise bothers you just use the 3M foam earplugs which give a 29 db noise reduction

When I want to eliminate snipe, I run boards end to end thru the 735 and use a scrap board at the beginning and end. I have adjusted my tables to minimize snipe and the best I could do is to reduce it to a few thousandth s. You could still feel it or measure it. I set my wings with a precision straight edge and feeler gauges.

If I have floorboards and need to do some heavy planer, I have a 15" - 3 hp to do the work and it is a bit quieter.

volume test is interesting so just what are we seeing there? Is that hand mic going into the sound meter or to a speaker? when the boards go through the sound meter is measuring from the mic on the meter and not the mic in his hand, My Ivie has an omini directional mic on it but mic placement would need to be the same on both machines, not only distance but as simple as one side could be louder than the other. Clearly the head is a lot quieter but if we are to go by the numbers then position of the mic should be the same. The statement about having to change three knives if you get a nick, you dont you shift one knife.

If you really like the Old Delta I would find another. But I do not know if another small planer with a chip ejector. If the noise bothers you just use the 3M foam earplugs which give a 29 db noise reduction.
    I've already bought into the 735. I don't want to take a loss selling it and buy something else. And when I have the funds, I'll probably upgrade to a spiral head. That was my long term plan in buying the 735.

This thread was never about me being so unhappy with the 735 that I was thinking I made a mistake buying it. I was just wondering why Dewalt couldn't have kept the noise in line with other benchtop planers. And I think I now know why.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

I agree with this statement, I have no issues or complaints concerning my 735. Yes, it's a bit loud, but not to loud if you use hearing protection. And I do wear hearing protection, I put it on as soon as I enter my shop. All of my shop equipment makes noise, so I put on my hearing protection before any piece of equipment gets turned on.
    Len