Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What the "designer" drew and what I built

You hit the nail on the head when you said "Creativity and imagination". Many people can be taught to build high quality furniture, but having the creativity and imagination to know WHAT to build is not as common. Congratulations on your work.

Mike

[I wish I was more creative.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Talk about the gift that keeps on giving! So nice to hear about the repeated business just from this one customer!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    . I am jealous of the amazing figure in his Maple slabs. This is, of course, Western Big Leaf Maple that East coasters derisively call "soft" maple. MY personal favorite wood for much of what I do. Way to go Bill.
    David,
    Next time you are traveling south please give me a call. There has to be a piece/slab of maple here at the Barn that you could do something nice with. No charge for someone like you who really does "grok" what beauty BLM has for us to share.
    Regards - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    You hit the nail on the head when you said "Creativity and imagination". Many people can be taught to build high quality furniture, but having the creativity and imagination to know WHAT to build is not as common. Congratulations on your work. High praise from a craftsman like you Mike, thank you.

Mike

[I wish I was more creative.]
    I have seen some of your work and you most definitely are very creative!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Talk about the gift that keeps on giving! So nice to hear about the repeated business just from this one customer!
    Jim,
    Isn't this the same approach that you have been taking for years and are employing now that you have "retired" and focused on woodworking? Isn't his how you got so many Horse Tack Chest commissions? I believe that you have embraced many of the same ideals as I have.

PS- Many thanks for time and effort you put forth for the SMC community. It is truly appreciated.

You do realize that once your first work of art appeared in that restaurant, everything else would be screaming out, "Replace me too!!!" And as the pictures of your work progress it's easy to see why they keep asking you back. Your work is simply gorgeous!!!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Jim,
    Isn't this the same approach that you have been taking for years and are employing now that you have "retired" and focused on woodworking? Isn't his how you got so many Horse Tack Chest commissions? I believe that you have embraced many of the same ideals as I have.

PS- Many thanks for time and effort you put forth for the SMC community. It is truly appreciated.
    Yes, it's absolutely the same approach I employed in many successful years of technical sales as well as for the commissions along the way. Hopefully, it will work well now that I'm monetizing the shop... If not, at least I'll still have some very nice toys to play with each day! LOL
    --

Julie,
    You are way too kind, but I suspect that is who you really are or......your post was made after a visit to the umbrella drink stand.
    In either case, thank you! - Bill

Julie,
    You are way too kind, but I suspect that is who you really are or......your post was made after a visit to the umbrella drink stand.
    In either case, thank you! - Bill
    Just being honest, Bill. But an umbrella drink stand? What a great idea! The other day a neighbor stopped by while I was reducing the size of some wood and was looking for different ideas for neighborhood get-togethers. He's an 80 year old party boy. I was telling him about the Carnable Wagon and maybe I would make one. But the Umbrella drink stand? I think he's gonna like this! And I know someone in Washington who can build a beautiful one.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Just being honest, Bill. But an umbrella drink stand? What a great idea! The other day a neighbor stopped by while I was reducing the size of some wood and was looking for different ideas for neighborhood get-togethers. He's an 80 year old party boy. I was telling him about the Carnable Wagon and maybe I would make one. But the Umbrella drink stand? I think he's gonna like this! And I know someone in Washington who can build a beautiful one.
    Nautical Theme?

Nautical Theme?
    That's a tough one. An umbrella on a boat? So I did some researching and along the way this popped up.

Is this getting a little out of hand?

Bill, you clearly have an eye for envisioning what style is appropriate for the space, while still paying attention to all the functional requirements. It must be very gratifying to have clients willing to let you run with your own ideas and not making you stick with the design they originally brought to you. I'm sure the positive feedback from customers and staff made the owners feel good that they "took a chance" on your design.

Your approach to business is tried and true. Bring creative solutions to problems, do good work at fair prices, and treat others with respect is a recipe for long term success. There's no need to advertise unless you want to grow really fast. Work will find you.

John

"Is this getting a little out of hand? "

Julie,
    Given the subject matter I don't think that is remotely possible. While I was thinking that the UDC would be nautically themed I really believe the vessel you found is possible the ultimate for affordable floating partying. A Talpa Bar that comes to you and dispenses Adult Beverages with umbrellas? Brilliant!!!

John,
    Thank you very much for the kind words and support. No, I don't want any more work, my current Backlog has me reeling as is.
    Much appreciated - Bill

That vessel must present an interesting situation after its passengers have been, um... enjoying the good life for awhile...given there are no railings. LOL
    --