Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the "designer" drew and what I built

What the "designer" drew and what I built

So, the client comes to me with drawing for a POS/SS (Point Of Sale/Server Station) for his restaurant. He apparently accurately interprets my look of disdain and says, "I know its not your style, that's why I'm here". So this is what I made for him...
    .IMG_0907.jpgDSC01495.jpgDSC01473.jpgDSC01484.jpgDSC01475.jpg
    The restaurant is in a logging community in the Cascade Mountains.

I salvaged the walnut from cap rails in the Student Center (The Hub) at the University of Washington. The live edge maple slab is one of many I have that have been air drying for 25 years (my next door neighbor was a timber faller who would take me along when he found a "specimen" tree, we would freehand slab it and pack out the slabs. The crown is bookmatched in an attempt to pay homage to the beautiful Cascade profile.

Cabinet finish is a WaterLox OSF base with Arm-R-Seal satin topcoat (delivery date prevented waiting for WL to fully cure). Slab finish is WaterLox OSF rubbed out using MicroMesh.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 03-06-2018 at 9:02 PM.

Very nice. I especially like the natural edge you put at the top.

It follows the design of the drawing but you made good material choices.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Very nice, but what did the customer say?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Can't imagine why the customer wanted a mirror. No keyboard? Touchscreen? No cash? Strange POS system.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Wow...you adapted that need to the environment nicely and I also love the natural edge features.

William, that's a normal POS system in a restaurant now for about a decade...touch screens and servers handle cash either from their apron and settle afterward or go to a centralized cash setup away from the floor. Few customers pay with cash these days. Even that kind of POS is becoming less relevant as mobile devices are adapted for at-table service including CC transactions so a customer's card never leaves their sight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...you adapted that need to the environment nicely and I also love the natural edge features.

William, that's a normal POS system in a restaurant now for about a decade...touch screens and servers handle cash either from their apron and settle afterward or go to a centralized cash setup away from the floor. Few customers pay with cash these days. Even that kind of POS is becoming less relevant as mobile devices are adapted for at-table service including CC transactions so a customer's card never leaves their sight.
    Canada has had the CC at the table for years. We in this country are always behind on technology. I really like Bill's project. I am jealous of the amazing figure in his Maple slabs. This is, of course, Western Big Leaf Maple that East coasters derisively call "soft" maple. MY personal favorite wood for much of what I do. Way to go Bill.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used to have one just like it !!. Agree with all, that is quite the flight of fancy!

Very nice!! The live edge slab looks great with the walnut cabinets.
    Chris

Very nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

10. Beautiful work! I like your version a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very nice, but what did the customer say?
    Apparently he was very pleased, two weeks after the install he asked me to consider doing another piece for the restaurant. Additional reinforcement for my design/build came from the operations manager, wait staff and customers who praised the original piece for both aesthetics and function. This piece is located directly in front of the customer entry. It includes bakery display, hostess stand, trash receptacle, waitstaff cubbies, utensil and travel container storage. The existing floor condition required that I create a base for the cabinet to level out the sloping floor. The two photos show what was there when I started. I can't get the photos to show before and after in the correct order (I have limited computer skills). Apparently I suck at taking IPhone pictures with reasonable color quality.

DSC01621.jpgDSC01624.jpgDSC01616.jpgDSC01618.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 03-09-2018 at 1:17 PM.

Thank you all for the very kind words. - Bill

After I installed the Hostess/Display cabinet they asked me if I would "update" the Menu Racks.

DSC01505.jpg2017-05-17 10.25.37.jpgSo I made these.

After the Menu Racks they asked for a "Cookie" slab sign that would designate the Bar Area (required in Washington). I told them it will surely check and that was OK with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

After the Bar sign they commissioned about 45 LF of cabinets and bookshelves, including a 6'-6" radius curved bookcase for their home remodel.

Then they requested that I provide Architectural services for the remodel for the community spaces (Entry, Kitchen, Living Room, Dining Room, covered outdoor Dining/Family space and the exterior) of their home.

Then they separated and the husband commissioned me for Architectural services on the remodel of his "new".

So I believe that they qualify as happy clients, which is kind of the point of all these posts. I believe in treating my clients with honesty and respect while striving to make/do stuff that I enjoy and will be proud to have my name associated with. I know that the pieces featured in this post are not Earth shattering in either design or execution but they are, in my opinion, pretty nice and exhibit a reasonable level of creativity and imagination. I also would like folks to see and understand that there are many ways to pay homage to live edge slabs other than just covering them with epoxy and laying them over poorly conceived bases.

I don't advertise, blog or have any internet presence other than here on SMC. All of my commissions are the result of word of mouth recommendations and that makes me feel good about my work and who I am.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 03-09-2018 at 6:03 PM.