Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Someone Buy From This Ad?

Blog Entries

Would Someone Buy From This Ad?

While reading various news articles advertising tends to be listed on the side of the text. That is one way to pay for putting things on the web.

Today there are a couple of ads with only an image and a price. It goes right over my head as to what is being sold. Here is one ad in whole:

?????.png

Is it trying to appeal to my curiosity to click on it to find out what is is for only $206 with free shipping?

After all, they do have the lowest prices... on stuff no one knows what it is!!!

Has Madison Avenue truly gone MAD?

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-07-2018 at 1:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The ad is for an expensive prosciutto ham holder. The less expensive versions are common in Italy and are used to hold the entire cured ham so paper thin slices can be carved off. I wouldn't buy it.

It's a rare chicken leg Jim. Some unusual breed.
    Maybe it's "special", like Jack Nicholson's coffee beans in Bucket List.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Reminds me of the banana hangers. It looks like it may have a digital thermometer. I agree it looks like a ham or maybe a cheese slicer.
    If you have to ask the use, you can not afford the price.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-07-2018 at 3:03 PM.

Uh Ohhhh...

"In before the Lock"

Marc

That product is called Iberico Ham. It is a very fine quality ham from Spain. Even more highly regarded than Serrano ham. Bred and cured in a very specific way, think caviar or maybe more specifically think prosciutto taken to the next level. That price is pretty good, I've seen full Iberico hams for well over $1000 USD. I wouldn't expect it to come with the holder/stand which is called a jamonera. Alternatively, that low price might mean the ad is for the jamonera and not the ham itself.
    It may seem ridiculous to some, but if you have the palate and are into gourmet food and wine pairings, it is a very prized delicacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    That product is called Iberico Ham. It is a very fine quality ham from Spain. Even more highly regarded than Serrano ham. Bred and cured in a very specific way, think caviar or maybe more specifically think prosciutto taken to the next level. That price is pretty good, I've seen full Iberico hams for well over $1000 USD. I wouldn't expect it to come with the holder/stand which is called a jamonera. Alternatively, that low price might mean the ad is for the jamonera and not the ham itself.
    It may seem ridiculous to some, but if you have the palate and are into gourmet food and wine pairings, it is a very prized delicacy.
    Somehow the idea of spending a week's or even a month's salary to satisfy the palate seems to defy logic. Maybe these exotic foods and pricey wines are marketed for people who use $100 bills to light their Cuban cigars.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

It says "Iberico ham" right on it in the upper right hand corner. What more would you have them say?

Yes, it's cheap, just about into the "too good to be true" category.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Somehow the idea of spending a week's or even a month's salary to satisfy the palate seems to defy logic. Maybe these exotic foods and pricey wines are marketed for people who use $100 bills to light their Cuban cigars.
    Well everybody has their passions, and I always say, if they're not hurting anyone else, who am I to judge? After all, I'm one of those nuts that would spend a week's pay on a vintage plane or chisel that a normal person would think is lunacy.

If you think Jamon Iberico defies logic, don't look at the buying behavior of the wine enthusiasts! The car fanatics too.

Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-07-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Reminds me of the banana hangers.
    Hey. Now let's just hold up there. I made several of those. Have one on the kitchen counter right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Folks who know what it is and value it will buy it. Sometimes they leave out greater information for a reason on certain things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    It says "Iberico ham" right on it in the upper right hand corner.
    There are a couple of 'icons' over the A & M of HAM. It has long been my caution to not guess at what comes next when a whole word is missing.

Though now my curiosity has been satisfied. Most likely it could have been satisfied by clicking the ad, another thing my experience has taught me not to do just to satisfy one's curiosity.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There are a couple of 'icons' over the A & M of HAM. It has long been my caution to not guess at what comes next when a whole word is missing.

Though now my curiosity has been satisfied. Most likely it could have been satisfied by clicking the ad, another thing my experience has taught me not to do just to satisfy one's curiosity.

jtk
    You clicked on something to get that far ....

I've never clicked on an online ad in my life, ever. Can't imagine why anyone would.

But THAT ad has my attention. Iberico...mmmmmm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    You clicked on something to get that far ....
    It was beside a news article of interest to me.

jtk