Thread: Mix of Baltic woods - need help to fix the color

Mix of Baltic woods - need help to fix the color

Ok, I messed up. I bought 2 types of Birch. All the drawer fronts are Baltic B while the doors (40x20 each) had to be lighter, so I went for Birch Ply. Well, I used the same white wash on both, but with the light coming from a skylight (very bright) the two pieces looks different. The doors are pinkish...awful! Any way I can use white die and mix with GF high performance and fix the color? Can it be fixed or...replacing the door - inset with Blum hw is the only option I have? Desperate...so much work ...gone

If the colour is too pink, the usual way to fix this is to apply a toner that is a mix of your base colour, solvent, a small amount of the coating, and a touch of bright green dye. Green and red counteract each other but the trade off is that the overall colour darkens slightly.

In your case with white as the base colour it will mean that you are applying a weak green toner. Keep it weak as it is much easier to apply an extra coat to get a bit more of the effect than to remove a strong over done colour.

You will need to test this on a scrap to get it right but it will work. The slight darkening should be OK as you have plenty of light. Check your test piece against the rest of the work in that strong light. It has to work in its final location.

Can someone recommend a source of green for this job? It's my usual excuse - I'm on the other side of the planet and my sources can't help.

Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Transtint dye comes in many colors, including green, and is miscible in GF High Performance poly and other WB coatings, as well as in shellac. A bottle of Transtint green always sits on my finishing shelf.

John

Hello, sorry for taking so long. My real job took precedence. I do not understand what the process is. Do I have to remove the poly? The "original color was a white wash with white paint.

No you won't have to remove your existing coating. Give the job a light sand as normal for applying a next coat. Apply a coat of toner made up of a small amount of the poly, a fair bit of solvent and a spot of green so that you have a brew that is definitely green but a transparent green. Spray an even just-wet coat all over the offending panels. If the colour is still too pink, apply another coat after the first has tacked off. When you are happy with the colour, let it dry as per usual cure times for the product you are using. DON'T sand it. Apply a full coat of clear to protect it. When dry, do a final de-nib and apply a final coat. It is best to test this on a scrap piece so you get the feel of what the green is going to do. Sorry for the 'precision' measurements for making up the toner but it really is no super critical to have the proportions exact. The bit of poly is just to make the toner stick to the job when you apply it. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

IMG_4335.jpgADDING A PICTURE - Ok, I am as ignorant as a dog when it comes to finishing with dye. I will buy the tint and try on a scrap piece. If I can save my work.....thanks I will keep you posted. I also added a picture with the color of the BB (on the right) and the "pink" ply. Unfortunately the pic is upside down. not sure why. But it will give you an idea if you need to modify your suggestion. Both of the panels have been treated with white wash, sanding sealer and 2 coats of GF Flat HP.
    Last edited by laura vianello; 03-16-2018 at 12:51 PM.

The advice still stands. Good luck. Cheers