Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop -- Between 2005 and 2011, how many "finger saves" were reported?

SawStop -- Between 2005 and 2011, how many "finger saves" were reported?

According to the document submitted to CPSC: Over 1,300. Finger saves that happened but not reported were not included.

Source: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2011-0074-1106 (File: SawStop Finger Saves REDACTED 10-10-2011).

The manufacturing and education sectors accounted for the most reported saves. (I don't know any school that is still using non-SS tablesaws.)

Most reported incidents required either a bandaid, a cleaning or no follow-up treatment.

If you are interested in knowing what time an incident happened, what kind of cut was made when it happened, etc., check out the document. The spreadsheet is more easier to read.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-07-2018 at 6:20 AM.

Simon, you convincing yourself to buy one?

Getting the popcorn ready........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Simon, you convincing yourself to buy one?
    ???

I have used or owned an ICS/PCS myself for so long. It is my last saw unless and until a better saw is produced and released.

Buy another one? Some do suggest -- not me -- if you have two SSs, you are twice safe.

Pop corn...always ready to be made, just as is my SS feature ready to kick in action 24/7!

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-08-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Have you heard the good word about our lord and savior Jesus Christ and the kingdom he's prepared for you in heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Have you heard the good word about our lord and savior Jesus Christ and the kingdom he's prepared for you in heaven?
    Jesus Christ was a carpenter; I believe he has prepared the kingdom for EVERY woodworker.

Simon

You are truly daft

I would bet the vast majority of "saves" get a bandaid, a new blade and brake and get right back to work with nary a thought of reporting it. I wouldn't.

Do believe that Johnny means is onto something in Post #8, above.

I did not read the entire report. But it surely was a wake-up for me to even take more care with my SawStop ICS. Thanks for posting it.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 03-08-2018 at 9:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I would bet the vast majority of "saves" get a bandaid, a new blade and brake and get right back to work with nary a thought of reporting it. I wouldn't.
    Majority? You may be right but you may also be wrong. No one really knows.

What we know is that SawStop will send a replacement cartridge FREE if a finger save is reported and confirmed.

Simon

That number by itself isn't too informative. All it tells me is that the Sawstop mechanism works. I already knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Jesus Christ was a carpenter; I believe he has prepared the kingdom for EVERY woodworker.

Simon
    Even those without flesh sensing technology? Because I like that my saw isn’t afraid of a puny little hotdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Even those without flesh sensing technology? Because I like that my saw isn’t afraid of a puny little hotdog.
    Every woodworker is every woodworker is every woodworker.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    That number by itself isn't too informative. All it tells me is that the Sawstop mechanism works.
    Agreed. So the devil is in the details..which one has to download the spreadsheet or pdf to see.

Simon

Does the report say anything about unintended misfires? I had one after I changed blades and didn't recalibrate the brake and wonder if they counted it a "save".