Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop -- Between 2005 and 2011, how many "finger saves" were reported?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    Does the report say anything about unintended misfires? I had one after I changed blades and didn't recalibrate the brake and wonder if they counted it a "save".
    It was about finger saves, as far as I can tell from the report. If a trigger involved a misfire (that is no body part was involved with the contact of the blade), it should not be counted as a save.

If I understand it correctly, if you send in a "Save a finger" report and your cartridge, they would verify whether you are qualified for a free replacement cartridge.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    Does the report say anything about unintended misfires? I had one after I changed blades and didn't recalibrate the brake and wonder if they counted it a "save".
    No, you have to send your cartridge in to SawStop so that they can analyze it. They can tell if it was a finger or something else. If it was a finger, you get a new brake.

I know. It saved my thumb. And I got a new brake (but I had to buy a new brake because I couldn't wait for SS to send me one - so now I have a backup)

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Satety devices do not make up for lack of commonsense and failure to pay attention. I do like splitters and riving knives on a saw. Then there are just those people that should never be around power tools. A saw stop in schools is a good idea cause most people have never operated a stationary power tool. How many people have lost fingers using a band saw? Where's the safety features there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Fletcher View Post
    Satety devices do not make up for lack of commonsense and failure to pay attention.
    Agreed.

About bandsaw stop?

http://thepatriotwoodworker.com/topi...-the-band-saw/

Simon

Only had my ics/pcs 5hp since 2006. Not sure how long they have been selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Cool. For a band saw that's a good safety feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Jesus Christ was a carpenter; I believe he has prepared the kingdom for EVERY woodworker.

Simon
    Plus one on that. I just wish he would provide me with the funds to purchase a SawStop.

[QUOTE=Jon Fletcher;2787139]Satety devices do not make up for lack of commonsense and failure to pay attention. I do like splitters and riving knives on a saw. QUOTE]

Actually Jon, in most cases they do.

Many people have had contact with a cutter prevented by a guard, that's what they're there for.

I personally had a serious table saw incident prevented by the guard on the saw. I was cutting many pieces and one began to fall off the back of the saw.

Without thinking, I reacted to try and save it. I drove my hand into the overhead blade guard so hard I thought I had broken a finger. Without the guard, my action would have resulted in serious injury or amputation.

There are many other stories from many other workers who have had near miss incidents instead of injuries due to guards.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-09-2018 at 7:56 AM. Reason: Spelling

Pretty neat...............Thanks for posting that Simon........Rod.

I think that sensing tech is close to the one being developed by Whirlwind(?), which does not rely on skin contact to trigger the sawstop.

It took the Aussie 10 years to develop the blade stop. Anyone complaining about the increased cost of a sawstop feature in future saws should know R&D is a costly and risky business.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by marshall k harrison View Post
    plus one on that. I just wish he would provide me with the funds to purchase a sawstop.
    lol, +1!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    lol, +1!!!!!
    I wish your wish would come true.

We all have different wishes.

I sincerely wish that he, given his carpenter's background, would help the parent company of Festool, also the new owner of SawStop, develop and extend the SawStop feature to as many as other power machines, like the mitre saws, as technologically and economically possible.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-09-2018 at 12:52 PM.

For those not familiar with "Whirlwind", see: http://www.whirlwindtool.com/2012/

I have been reading and hearing about "Whirlwind" for several years. I like that it does not "destroy" the blade or require a brake cartridge.

I looked on the "Whirlwind" web pages -- see above link -- (update 2018) about when and if it is available and price. I did not read anything about availability. Has anyone ever heard of or seen one in use in a home/school/commercial shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    For those not familiar with "Whirlwind", see: http://www.whirlwindtool.com/2012/

I have been reading and hearing about "Whirlwind" for several years. I like that it does not "destroy" the blade or require a brake cartridge.

I looked on the "Whirlwind" web pages -- see above link -- (update 2018) about when and if it is available and price. I did not read anything about availability. Has anyone ever heard of or seen one in use in a home/school/commercial shop?
    Not sure if it is still the case. Last time, I heard that the owner was trying to find an investor or investors to buy out his invention so it could be further developed/marketed as a commercial product. I have not come across any actual applications other than those prototypes he has shown. Whether or not he has approached the saw makers such as the PTI as Gass, inventor of SawStop did, I don't know.

Like the Aus. blade stop for the bandsaws, I would like to see more commercial efforts or inventions to reduce the risk of injuries for woodworkers.

Simon

"....Last time, I heard that the owner was trying to find an investor or investors to buy out his invention so it could be further developed/marketed as a commercial product."
    --Simon MacGowen

I recall reading the same about 5-6 years ago. Since then I have heard/read nothing else.