Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I finally found sharp.

"The Force can have a great influence on a closed mind" OB1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There is a term for that in psychology:

An older saying refers to not knowing can be bliss. It is usually said in a different way. My intent is to avoid making it sound derogatory as there have been many times when my bliss has been based on a lack of knowledge.

jtk
    It's a little different though... It's "Ignorance" in the sense of the actual root - to intentionally ignore facts.... It's completely different from a lack of facts... It's intentionally ignoring the facts....

And the source of "Bliss" is the superiority complex that comes from putting yourself on a pedestal and poo-poo-ing everybody else by intentionally ignoring all the facts, logical arguments, data, and information that is put forth....
    Last edited by John C Cox; 03-07-2018 at 8:08 PM.

LIKE.....Good thread...Thanks
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    But my project is in pine, and cutting dovetails, paring end grain, proved the lie. End grain fibers in the pin area are crushed, not cut. 400/1000/pasted strop is not enough.
    That all depends on what is on the strop and how many strokes you give it. I can carve wood, typically bass but also mahogany, walnut etc off a 600 grit diamond and a strop.

With chisels I believe no strop is fine, especially with super fine stones and a roller skate. If you did that free hand, kudos to you. For carving tools which have to be free handed, I've never personally myself or seen anyone that can get as nice of a carving edge off stones or films alone as they can off a leather strop. Probably due to the inherent greater difficult of trying to hold a bevel angle and simultaneously roll the gouge along the circumference of it's edge. A tiny bit of give that leather imparts does what free hand on a fine stone can't.

No. I do free hand hone my chisels, but i went back to a guide, back to basics, to remove that variance from the equation. And I will most likely stay with one for a while, and see how it goes.

Working soft wood can be humbling, for sure. Not only is there less tolerance for not-so-sharp tools, but you have to be more conservative with how you remove material. Taking too big of a bite will cause the end grain to tear out, even if you are very sharp. I am doing a bunch of mortise and tenons in yellow pine currently, and I think it may take me longer to do the mortises in this pine than in oak. At least if I want them to be neat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    This forum needs a "Like" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heffernan View Post
    LIKE!

Yes it does.
    NO! Please no! The mindless clicking of a "like" button devalues any site used for intelligent social interaction. Discussion of the subject is what makes a forum worth visiting. Anyone can punch a "like" button like a lab rat hitting a feeder bar; please don't do it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    NO! Please no! The mindless clicking of a "like" button devalues any site used for intelligent social interaction. Discussion of the subject is what makes a forum worth visiting. Anyone can punch a "like" button like a lab rat hitting a feeder bar; please don't do it.
    I often hit the "like" button, then comment on the thread. All depends on your perspective.

I don't know who in the thread originally posted the reference to the Dunning-Kruger effect in psychology, but thank you! I was not aware of it, at least in formal terms.
    The post caused me to look it up and it's a fascinating cognitive bias, and one I'm sure we've all encountered before, in one way or another.

Edwin,

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    Working soft wood can be humbling, for sure. Not only is there less tolerance for not-so-sharp tools, but you have to be more conservative with how you remove material. Taking too big of a bite will cause the end grain to tear out, even if you are very sharp. I am doing a bunch of mortise and tenons in yellow pine currently, and I think it may take me longer to do the mortises in this pine than in oak. At least if I want them to be neat.
    This... And especially so with Spruce... It has super long fibers - and as such absolutely does not tolerate any flavor of dull tool... On top of that - it has hard grain lines which love to ding up that ultra fine edge.... But it's also mushy - which requires finer bevel angles to actually cut rather than to mush and crumble it to bits... So it's kinda a balancing act...

It's nothing like Mahogany or Cherry - which work just fine with half-dull tools and are pretty tolerant of fairly blunt bevels..

But as with so many things hand tool - Sharp fixes most problems... And it sounds like Mike has it fixed.

Blog Entries
    it's a fascinating cognitive bias, and one I'm sure we've all encountered before, in one way or another.
    Sometimes we see it in others and sometimes, if fortunate enough to see clearly, we may find it present in ourselves.

Everyone is uninformed about something.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Everyone is uninformed about something.

jtk
    I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Who let you out of your Skinner Box, anyway?

-- Patrick, who may or may not have worked in SW development for a social network in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Who let you out of your Skinner Box, anyway?

-- Patrick, who may or may not have worked in SW development for a social network in the past.
    So, you are saying that you no longer do?

Dang it...just burnt another batch of popcorn......