Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thickness planer

Appreciate all the info and tips.

Rod, I didn't mention it but I do have a small jointer and learning on the YouTubes about other methods of jointing.

Lee. if/when I get one, I plan out feed tables.

Obviously, I've never used a jointer or a planer

Do any of those contenders have dust collection ports? That would be a decider for me. I have the 12.5" Delta, and its OK, but ready to upgrade. You could wait for the father's day sale at big box store and maybe get a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    Only briefly, scott.

It's $399 at Lowe's which is starting to get to be more than I want to get into.

I know you get what you pay for.

Thanks for your input
    Don't know if it applies to you or not but Lowes offers a 10% military/veterans discount. Comes in handy when shopping there so I use it for my tools when I can

Stan, I believe all do have dust collection.

Right now, my dust collection is a broom and dust pan.

The Father's Day tip may be a good idea.
    May be able to get a little better planer for near the same money.
    I have no urgent need for one right now

Thanks for that info, Lee and Bill.

I saw it on the YouTubes.
    Unfortunately, that has been the biggest source of what I've learned
    Unfortunately you don't need to have any qualifications as a woodworker to post videos on Youtube. Lots of unsafe practices on there especially around table saws. Some of those guys scare me and I'm amazed that they still have their fingers.

If in doubt ask here. Some opinionated people on here on certain subjects (such as SawStop) but they will keep you safe.

In the last 3 years I have run only reclaimed oak, ash, hickory, etc thru my 734. No problemo. I do check each piece with a metal detector.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I'm aware of that caveat, Marshall, but thanks for pointing that out.

I'm real ginger about stuff.
    I had an uncle who lost some fingers on power equipment and worked in a saw mill when I was a kid.
    Lot's of people with missing parts there and watched a guy lose some.

Bill, I had thought of a metal detector, too.
    Good excuse to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    Don't know if it applies to you or not but Lowes offers a 10% military/veterans discount. Comes in handy when shopping there so I use it for my tools when I can
    Just found out recently that Home Depot has the same deal. Just need to ask and show ID.

I'm not a veteran.
    But good for those stores for doing this.

Lowe's gives me 5% for using my Lowe's charge.
    Just got a Home Depot and don't think they do that

I have the "Professional" model of the Cutech planer. It's a good benchtop (lunchbox) planer, has a locking head, carbide cutters, etc., but it's still a benchtop planer. It's basically a Ridgid/Delta, etc. with a redesigned cutter head. Snipe seems to vary with board length, species and planet alignment, but it's never very much, sometimes hard to detect.

I sometimes just cut off a few inches to eliminate it, sometimes sand it out. I've found that pre-loading/following boards of the same thickness does work but it can get a little hectic if you're working alone. Also means having to have (and wasting) boards of the same thickness. Usually easier to just trim off the snipe when possible.

Appreciate all the info and tips.

Rod, I didn't mention it but I do have a small jointer and learning on the YouTubes about other methods of jointing.

Lee. if/when I get one, I plan out feed tables.

Obviously, I've never used a jointer or a planer
    This brought a tear to my eye! So I am not the ONLY one who buys tools before he has a need to use them!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    This brought a tear to my eye! So I am not the ONLY one who buys tools before he has a need to use them!
    Wait...are you saying that we are SUPPOSED to have a need BEFORE we buy tools?

I didn't know I needed tools to get them.
    I have a lot to learn.

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't think I need any tools but should borrow them.
    Or if I buy a tool I must use it every day until it wears out or I die (if she doesn't kill me in my sleep)

I didn't know I needed tools to get them.
    I have a lot to learn.

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't think I need any tools but should borrow them.
    Or if I buy a tool I must use it every day until it wears out or I die (if she doesn't kill me in my sleep)
    So your wife's name is Amanda too?

Kevin

Might have been her nick name before I knew her