Thread: Dewalt 735 knives

Dewalt 735 knives

Hi Folks,
    I recently rotated the knives on my Dewalt 735 planer so I need to buy a set to have them in reserve. I have been looking around here and on the internet. I am considering Infinity HSS, Holbren, and Global Tooling. If anyone has experience with these I would welcome your input.
    I also see some on EBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWalt-13-H...4383.l4275.c10

Thanks,
    Izzy

I've been using the blades from Dewalt. I'm satisfied with the life I get out of them. No experience with the others.

I would be careful in ordering "no name" blades from eBay. Actually, I wouldn't order those just because you have no idea how good or bad they are.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use Global Tooling knives in my jointer. Holbern also sells them. As for planer knives, I use OEM knives in bench top. Bought several on a clearance for $5 a set. 13" Rockwell and 15" Delta came with extra knives, I haven't had to purchase any for either machine.

I bought 2 sets of jointer knives from Global Tooling. Very good steel and excellent grind job.

Thanks for the input guys

I have always used Dewalt knives in my 735 planer. I would recommend doing more research online to get the full range of feedback on using Dewalt knives versus Infinity versus Infinity carbide versus upgrading the planer with a helical head. I have never used anything but Dewalt because of the fact that feedback online was all over the place on success and failure with the Dewalt versus other knives and have no intention of upgrading an older planer with a helical head.

I also recently got the Deulen jig for sharpening/honing planer knives. The man who developed and sells the jig (Mr. Deulen?) insists he only uses Dewalt knives and sharpens those despite online feedback I've read from others who insist these knives are too thin to sharpen even once. These people seem to have success using and sharpening Infinity steel replacement knives for this planer. He even suggested that the Dewalt knives gave superior performance for him over other brands. Unfortunately, I have no comments on the Deulen jig because I have not needed to use it since I got it because my knives were OK to this point. I will soon need to sharpen though. I figure that, even one sharpening for each edge on the knives will cut my planer knife replacement cost significantly so even only that would be worth it.

I guess, for me, the feedback from Mr. Deulen (?) was good enough for me to continue using the Dewalt knives as he really had no possible ulterior motive for telling me he had long-term success with these knives. I was going to buy the jig no matter what and he doesn't sell knives as far as I know. Plus, I have had great success over the 10 years I owned the planer with Dewalt knives.

The wear on Dewalt versus other knives, carbide knives for this planer, and upgrading the planer to a spiral head gets a lot of discussion on forums, including this one. It's probably worth your time to search and review these discussions before making a decision.

I personally wait till I find a good price on Dewalt knives either online or at a Woodcraft (when a percent off sale is going on). You can buy them in 2-set packs which reduces the price a little. I'm sure you will get the full range of opinions on this subject though.

I bought 2 or 3 sets of Dewalt knives before I learned to sharpen them. I bought one set of Infinity knives and they are thicker than the Dewalts, but I can't tell a difference in longevity. I made a jig to hold the knives at a 43 degree angle and sharpen then on granite and sandpaper. Unless they are badly nicked, they come out razor sharp. They last a lot longer than I'd expect them to. I can't tell any difference in cutting depth, but I'd be surprised if I've taken off more than a few thousandths.
    Dan

You may have my DeWalt takeoffs for the cost of the shipping; they're not unused but they're not dull and they have no edge defects. I replaced them with a Shelix head.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder View Post
    You may have my DeWalt takeoffs for the cost of the shipping; they're not unused but they're not dull and they have no edge defects. I replaced them with a Shelix head.
    Scott
    Scott,
    I tried to send you a PM but it looks like your box is full. I will take the knives.

Thanks again to all for your answers. I have the Deulen jig for jointer knives so I will try and sharpen the planer knives. I think I will still grab a new set for a backup. That way I can sharpen when I get around to it.