Thread: Crystalac Brite-Tone finishing technique questions...

Crystalac Brite-Tone finishing technique questions...

Hello folks,

My first post here so my apologies if I am breaking any rules on posting the name of the finish manufacturer.
    So I make pool cues and been doing it for the last 10 years.
    I just started using Crystlac Brite-Tone Gloss finish using a HVLP gun with 0.8mm needle and the results are awesome - no orange peel, finish smooth as glass. I have been laying about 7 to 8 coats on my projects but I need some guidance from the users of this finish on what is their process or advice to get a good glossy shine.
    I wet sand and start at 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 using 3M wet dry sandpaper. Then I just use some 3M compound to do a final polish and the results are a bit on the dull side.
    I am used to Auto Clear, so obviously as you wet sand and buff the results are awesome but I wanted to get something more environmentally friendly and not as toxic and poisonous like auto clear.
    I like the hardness I get and the results I get out of Brite-Tone but sometimes I need to hit some spots that need to be smoothed out and the process seems to be a bit different in order to get good results.
    Any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Antonio Maninha
    Last edited by Antonio Maninha; 03-06-2018 at 3:41 PM.

If it is staying hazy, either the coating is a little too soft to polish properly or the cutting compound is not fine enough. Consider changing to a waterborne auto clear? Cheers

I can’t find a good waterborne auto clear... Do you have any suggestions?
    I didn’t gave up on Brite-Tone, I know it’s my buff process that needs improvement...

I can't recommend brands as we have different products in Australia. I am actually not a fan of waterborne products but if you like what you are using, try a different polishing compound or else recoat the whole cue rather than try to polish. Not every coating improves with polishing. Best results are off the gun with a good coating material if at all possible. Cheers

Antonio,

Call Crystalac and ask for David. 423-727-6425 He should be able to advise you appropriately.

If you don't immediately connect with them, be persistent. They're a very busy small company.