Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Table Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have had a Grizz 1023 for 15 years and couldn't be happier. You can always upgrade the rails and fence in the future if you wish as well as adding overhead collection with a SharkGuard. Or you could wait 5 years an see if the SS technology migrates to all table saws at an affordable price point.
    5 years? That's pretty optimistic based on the information available in the public domain.

Simon

Wonder how many fingers would be saved if the table saw guard was used. Seems most YouTube videos of tablesaw mishaps the guard is "sitting over in the corner"....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Davenport View Post
    Hiya Mike!
    i want a powerful enough saw that i can do just about all types of woodworking on.
    i have a ryobi folding contractor saw.
    room will not be an issue(finally!) as we are building a good sized pole barn.
    if i can get one that will accept an add on mobile base would be good.
    not too worried about safety, i'm assuming you referring to the saw stop.
    decent dust collection would be nice. i plan to have central dust collection with outlets/inlets around the shop.
    i have looked at the Grizzly saws, they look nice, but are they good quality? i have a Grizzly oscillating spindle sander that has held up over the years and seems good quality. not too sure yet whether 110 or 220. since the building will be new i can go either way. also not sure what hp tom get. does the old adage work here? more is better? i usually make outdoor furniture and toys for my grandkids. however, we just bought some stuff for granddaughters doll house and couldn't believe how much they cost and how easy they appear to make. was thinking about maybe making a little cash on the side with the doll furniture. also, i want this to be my last saw!
    I'd definitely go 220v 3hp since you have the choice. That will likely give you all the power you could ever hope for, and then some. The G1023RL or G0690 are both excellent well proven saws with a large happy following. Among the best bangs for the buck on the market IMO. You rarely read of an issue with either one, and there are lots of them in service.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I happen to believe in the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy.
    Then why the Sawstop push?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    My first thought was Why Not?, but then a calmer mind took over: what does the Buy Once, Cry Once has ANYTHING to do with a push (or not)?

By the way, you can push whatever brand/model you want. And I still won't question your motive, because I like people expressing their passion on things they value highly, SawStop or not.

Simon

My first thought was Why Not?, but then a calmer mind took over: what does the Buy Once, Cry Once has ANYTHING to do with a push (or not)?

By the way, you can push whatever brand/model you want. And I still won't question your motive, because I like people expressing their passion on things they value highly, SawStop or not.

Simon
    Anything? Time for hand holding again simon? The idea behind buy once, cry once is that you buy the best with the intent of never having to experience that expenditure again. Right? So why push for a mediocre saw that isn't the best? Good enough probably, but I do believe you are overstating the quality of the tin box saws when there are better options for less money available. Right?

Some few simply cannot get it through their heads to keep body parts away from the spinning blade.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Buying a new tablesaw today without the SawStop feature is like buying a new car without any of the new safety features (blind spot warning, rear mirror camera, etc.).

Simon
    I'd buy that car...

OP,You really should include where your at. For instance, I have a Uni I'd sell cheap. some others may be in the same boat.
    Last edited by mark kosse; 03-08-2018 at 1:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Some few simply cannot get it through their heads to keep body parts away from the spinning blade.

I'm not picking on that aspect. I just hate misinformation. Some of these old industrial saws can be had for a song, and they are pure joy in comparison to use than most of current production saws. The Sawstop isn't bad, it just isn't incredible. The paint is shiny, the fence is pretty nice, the fit and finish is okay, but most of that isn't important.

10. Any unisaw with a decent fence is a massive step up from a ryobi contractor saw IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    I'd buy that car...

OP,You really should include where your at. For instance, I have a Uni I'd sell cheap. some others may be in the same boat.
    Sorry, soon, you can only buy new cars with some of those safety installed by default due to regulations. Of course, you are free to buy older stock or old cars without any of the new features. And for less money, too.

Simon

I'm not picking on that aspect. I just hate misinformation. Some of these old industrial saws can be had for a song, and they are pure joy in comparison to use than most of current production saws. The Sawstop isn't bad, it just isn't incredible. The paint is shiny, the fence is pretty nice, the fit and finish is okay, but most of that isn't important.
    Old industrial saws? Some of those without guards or dust collection?

I would not recommend any of those for hobbyist shops.

Simon

Let the record speak for itself: SS is the #1 selling cabinet saw in the States.

Simon

It'd be nice to have a table saw discussion without the Evangelists. On both sides.

Let the record speak for itself: SS is the #1 selling cabinet saw in the States.

Simon
    Who cares?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."