Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Table Saw

Talking New Table Saw

I finally have enough in my budget($1500) for a decent cabinet table saw. Now what I need is some help choosing one! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rob - I was in the very same position at the end of the year, and then my targeted table saw manufacturer raised the price $200 on the model I was looking at

If it helps any, my sites are focused on Grizzly's G0690 or possibly the G1023RL.

What are your needs, wants, and requirements? You gotta feed the beast here otherwise you might end up starting another back and forth post over SS vs slider vs old 'arn.

What are you operating with now and how's that been working out for you? Do you need more power, more accuracy, a cool paint job, or something else more specific?

Do you have a lot of room within your shop so you can fit in either an extended fence rail or a slider/combo system?

Do you need the saw to be mobile or can it remain in a fixed position.

Are you concerned about safety and don't trust yourself to the perils of working around a carbide-tipped saw blade spinning at around 4500 RPM?

What are your thoughts about dust collection - over and under the blade?
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 03-06-2018 at 2:39 PM.

Watch for a good deal on a clean, used Unisaw or equivalent.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Look for a good used Unisaw, PM66 or General 350/650. For just a bit more you can get a new Grizzly G1023RL with a riving knife and warranty - $1590 shipped.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Several years ago I upgraded from a Craftsman contractors saw to a Grizzly Grizzly G1023RL series. I could not be more pleased with it. For me the riving knife is a big deal over old iron. To each his own...

Anyway, apparently the G1023RL falls within your budget. Give it serious consideration. It is everything I could ask for, with the exception of a blade brake safety feature, which is out of your budget range for a cabinet saw.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I agree with the posters. Grizzly is a very good option and so is a quality used saw.
    I have the G0691 and have been happy with it, though slightly more than your budget.
    The fence is probably the most important part...I have the large rip capacity but I think I could get by without that as I rarely cut anything larger that 24” on the table saw. A riving knife with easy and accurate adjustment would be another consideration. I think they are important.

Hiya Mike!
    i want a powerful enough saw that i can do just about all types of woodworking on.
    i have a ryobi folding contractor saw.
    room will not be an issue(finally!) as we are building a good sized pole barn.
    if i can get one that will accept an add on mobile base would be good.
    not too worried about safety, i'm assuming you referring to the saw stop.
    decent dust collection would be nice. i plan to have central dust collection with outlets/inlets around the shop.
    i have looked at the Grizzly saws, they look nice, but are they good quality? i have a Grizzly oscillating spindle sander that has held up over the years and seems good quality. not too sure yet whether 110 or 220. since the building will be new i can go either way. also not sure what hp tom get. does the old adage work here? more is better? i usually make outdoor furniture and toys for my grandkids. however, we just bought some stuff for granddaughters doll house and couldn't believe how much they cost and how easy they appear to make. was thinking about maybe making a little cash on the side with the doll furniture. also, i want this to be my last saw!

A little bit of patience you can find a used Tannewitz or Northfield for half that. Other truly industrial saws, same story

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    A little bit of patience you can find a used Tannewitz or Northfield for half that. Other truly industrial saws, same story
    Yep, but put Oliver on the list,too

Save,borrow or steal another $1000 and buy a SawStop.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    Save,borrow or steal another $1000 and buy a SawStop.
    Buying a new tablesaw today without the SawStop feature is like buying a new car without any of the new safety features (blind spot warning, rear mirror camera, etc.). All new tablesaws down the road will be mandated to have a finger saving feature if CSPC is serious about pushing on that front.

I would rather put off getting a new saw until I have saved enough for a SawStop. Buy once and it will just be a one time investment

Simon

Blog Entries
    Not everyone is shopping in the $3k market although this seems to be a definite tier in tablesaws. If your rate of saving is such that waiting for something like a Saw Stop PCS or a Powermatic 2000 then the Grizzly 1023 or 690 family saw is a typical winner at the $1500 tier.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Correct that if the OP can't wait until he saves more for a SS, he should buy now whatever he can afford. Only he can assess how urgent he needs a cabinet saw in the coming months vs how much longer it will take him to save enough for a SS PCS, which can be months or years. I happen to believe in the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy.

A more important question, of course, is that if he considers a finger saving feature necessary or highly desirable at all. Since he said any help is appreciated in his post, I am in agreement with Robert's suggestion that a SS should not be ruled out in his consideration and hence added my voice to his suggestion. In a Festool forum discussion, someone was determined at the beginning to get a SS contractor saw, but after other members pointing out why a PCS was more suitable for him, he changed his mind and landed on a PCS deal instead (coinciding with a free-upgrade promotion offer, I think). I am simply adding my comments in the belief that the more information the OP has, a better decision he can reach.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-08-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have had a Grizz 1023 for 15 years and couldn't be happier. You can always upgrade the rails and fence in the future if you wish as well as adding overhead collection with a SharkGuard. Or you could wait 5 years an see if the SS technology migrates to all table saws at an affordable price point.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Davenport View Post
    ...also, i want this to be my last saw!
    Last saw? Are you sure you're in the right message board??

Don't get me wrong, the $$ range that you're looking in should provide you with plenty of options for a decent new or used saw. But in this price range, anything you pick up is really just a "gateway" model to that next level of equipment, like the Saw Stop PCS or PM2000 Glenn has mentioned.